PDA

View Full Version : Whats it worth?

SadSams
08-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Ran accross a guy selling a 3'x12'(Denis Darveau evaporator) w/steam hoods. Pans looked to be in good condition. Does anybody know anything about Darveau evap co? The sap pan is drop flue and is setup for reverse flow. What do you think somebody might pay for this?

Thiems sugarshack
08-26-2012, 07:37 PM
How old is it and is it welded or soldered?

SadSams
08-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Its hard to say how old it is. The arch is a home build but done real nice. The pans are in i'd say better then good condition. They were soldered pans. The current owner only used it once in the last 4 years due to a bad fall. Broken hip and pelvis (fell off his deer stand) Now he died 3 weeks after being diagnosed with cancer. I'll google the Denis Darveau evaporator co. to see if their still around.

sjdoyon
08-27-2012, 06:45 PM
I believe the company was out of Canada (used to be a lot of small evaporator companies in Canada who eventually sold out or folded). If you speak to a dealer, they probably know the history.

Thad Blaisdell
08-27-2012, 07:18 PM
They are not around anymore, they went under in the 80s? I believe. They were huge in their hayday. H20 took over some of their stuff, I believe. A lot of hearsay on that. From what I know they made quality equipment.

tuckermtn
08-27-2012, 08:13 PM
if its built in the 80s it likely has lead solder. get a lead test kit from the hardware store (get the one to test lead in pipes/plumbing) cheap way to confirm.