PDA

View Full Version : Firebrick Alternatives

vttsa
08-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Hello,
I am considering making an evaporator using a 275 gal oil tank as the arch. I am trying to do this as inexcpensivly as I can, and buying firebricks is simply out of the question. What other alternitaves are there? Could I put thermal blanket on the outside of the arch? Another Idea I had was using red brick such as these (http://nh.craigslist.org/mat/3223458771.html) to line the inside. I'm open to any ideas. Do I even need firebrick if its an old oil tank?

Thanks
Brian

Flat Lander Sugaring
08-24-2012, 05:43 AM
just put fire brick where you are going to load the wood, thermal blanket everything else

jcyphert
08-24-2012, 06:13 AM
Thermal Blanket on the INside... this will prolong the life of your tank.

JCyphert

Cake O' Maple
08-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Would used firebrick be affordable? Don't have any idea of your budget. I called demolition contractors til I found one who had some to get rid of, pd $1 a brick, full size brick.

Bernie/MA
08-25-2012, 10:59 AM
I built one out of a tank and put 1/8" sheet steel on the inside leaving a 2" space which I filled with sand. Still looks good after 3 seasons.

spencer11
08-25-2012, 11:45 AM
defentaly insulate it, i ran one last season with out it, and i couldnt stand next to it, when i did my jeans would get so hot they would burn my legs

HODGE
08-25-2012, 06:33 PM
I was in the same situation a few years back with financing my addiction. I ended up making an arch for a 3x10 flat pan setup. I used old clay patio brick for fire brick(similar to the ones you show on craigs list) For insulation I used fiberglass ceiling tiles (with the plastic coating taken off) from a suspended ceiling. It worked great. The bricks held up pretty well, with only a few cracks after use. The fiberglass held up too,behind the brick. As long as the brick are a clay type brick they should hold up pretty well.