PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of converting to oil or propane in a year or 2

maple flats
08-23-2012, 06:31 AM
I'm going to burn wood again for 2013, BUT I'm "thinking" of converting to either oil or propane for 2014 or maybe 2015. Any ideas? What would be the issue with either? How might efficiency compare? If it would be close I'd rather propane, but only if it could match the fuel cost and boil rate of oil.
I'll have new pans soon, so I'd only need to convert my arch or buy a new arch. Besides price, what are other pro's vs. cons?
Dave

collinsmapleman2012
08-24-2012, 08:54 PM
you should definetly contact kieth schiebel at VVS because the arch there used to be propane and was converted to oil in 2006 for a number of reasons

maple flats
08-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Thanks, I'll talk to Keith next time I see him. Or I might call him after school re starts next month.

Thad Blaisdell
08-25-2012, 04:51 PM
The top three things I could not live without
1 Reverse osmosis
2 vacuum
3 oil

I would not try to even think of burning anything else. It would have to hit $10 a gal for me to even consider alternatives.

You would need to take out all of the bricks and line it with 3 inches of fire blanket. (2 in the back) Then you are going to have to consider heat in sugarhouse because evaporator will not be warm to the touch.

halladaymaple
08-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Hi

Consider it a long term investment. If you are hobby producer, younge and have lots of wood, stick with wood till your telling yourself "man I hate cutting wood for syrup season" then its time to change. It will eat into your profits, but man its nice to "flip the switch" and have no coals to worry about at **** down, cools in 10 minutes.

So, if you can cost it out and afford it - do it.

darrell