PDA

View Full Version : How Much Wood?

whitetail farms
08-22-2012, 09:38 PM
I have a Waterloo 2X6 drop flue that I think i did a pretty good job fire bricking,,could anybody tell me how many cords of firewood i will need for 100 taps on this unit,thanks nick

delivron
08-22-2012, 10:20 PM
You will need approximately 18 Million BTUs if you produce 2000 gallons of sap if the evaporator was 100% efficient. Net 45 Gallons of syrup. Since the evaporator is relatively low in efficiency for this model I would suggest a absolute minimum of 2 cords would be used. You might want to reference this table for the btu content of various woods.

http://firewoodresource.com/firewood-btu-ratings/

maple flats
08-23-2012, 05:53 AM
An old formula was 25 gal syrup/cord. When I had a 2x6 I got between 20-22 gal/cord boiling raw sap , using a pre heater and hood. You are better off cutting too much. I'd suggest you figure a banner year, figure 50 gal syrup if gravity and 100 gal with vacuum (yes that is double the average) and cut/season 1 full cord/20 gal. When you likely have wood left, it will be drier for next year. I cut my wood about 1.5 yrs ahead, it boils better that way.

Flat Lander Sugaring
08-24-2012, 05:44 AM
for every 15 to 20 gallons of syrup made you will need one cord of wood

red maples
08-24-2012, 08:43 AM
An old formula was 25 gal syrup/cord. When I had a 2x6 I got between 20-22 gal/cord boiling raw sap , using a pre heater and hood. You are better off cutting too much. I'd suggest you figure a banner year, figure 50 gal syrup if gravity and 100 gal with vacuum (yes that is double the average) and cut/season 1 full cord/20 gal. When you likely have wood left, it will be drier for next year. I cut my wood about 1.5 yrs ahead, it boils better that way.

WOW!!! a banner year would be 50 gallons of syrup on 100 taps on gravity.....or 100 Gallons of syrup on Vacuum....I WANT THOSE TREES!!! just kidding I think....

first a few variables,

did you alter your evap in anyway preheater, forced air, etc
next are you collecting via, bucket, gravity tubing, or vacuum,
and third are you using hard wood or soft wood or a combination of both
finally the type and condition of trees, red maples, sugar maple, silver maple? are they in dense woods with small crowns or over crowded, roadside and yard trees with giant crowns huge sugar maples on gravity or buckets have a possibility of producing 3.5 - 5% sugar if your lucky!!!

in anycase if you
assuming you collect 2000-2500 gallons sap would be a very good year.
If using hard wood I would do 2-3 cords
if using soft wood(pine hemlock etc. I would do maybe 3-4 or 5 cords
obviously if using a combination of both it would probably somewhere in the middle of that.
and if if you don't use it all well then you have it for the next year. every sugar bush is different every evap is different every opperator has a screw loose and works the evap a little differently. time between fires size of wood used dryness of wood etc.

Once you get a few years under your belt you will know what you need. but it is better to have alot more than you need than to run out!!!

My first year I was bad so that one doesn't count.( I use all pine)
second year...I used 7 cords and ran out (270 taps)
Last year was bad for everyone (300 taps) split 11 cords used 5. so I am ahead for this season.

whitetail farms
09-01-2012, 08:59 PM
i have preheater but i dont plan on using it i also have forced draft and will probably be burning mostly softwoods so it look like i have some work to do still,thanks for your help guys