PDA

View Full Version : main line ties

rayi
08-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Any one ever try a cordless drill with a hook to tighten them. I can't see buying one of those fancy things for 500 foot of line

spud
08-19-2012, 08:30 PM
I don't see that working at all. You will break every tie for sure. You can buy a tool for $5.00 at all the supply stores. You can do 500 feet in an hour or so.

Spud

boondocker
08-19-2012, 08:36 PM
They sell those yo yo tools at lowes cheap........ They are alot quicker than having to put both ends of the tie in the end of your drill every time. on a side note the last main line i put up i dident use a main wire, i tried those tention grips and that is the quickest and easiest set up i have used and will probly be the way i go from here on out.

Slpalmer
08-19-2012, 09:00 PM
God we all have been there. Break down and buy the super twistee tool for $30. All manufacturers have one. Beats the drill and patato bagged hands down. You won't regret it!

maple flats
08-20-2012, 07:00 AM
I use no wire, just stretch it good, side tie well to maintain slope and go. Look for a Rapi-Tube video to see how. I did the same with Leader 30P and love it. I use it for main line 1" or smaller, larger I do use wire and ties.
If you still want to use support wire and wire ties, if 500' is all you will be doing, I would not buy the $30 toll, just get the $5 one. In fact when I use support wire I've had more than 1 helper who actually prefer the simpler/cheaper tool.

maplecrest
08-20-2012, 07:20 AM
An Allen wrench in the drill chuck will turn your drill into a wire tie tool.

spencer11
08-20-2012, 07:21 AM
i would go wireless, i just did 2 mains yesterday like mapleflats said, its very easy and works with a couple different kinds of mainline, and its alot cheaper to

red maples
08-20-2012, 08:48 AM
just get the cheap one...they are like $5 through bascom's. you can get them at any feed store, I think I paid $3.50 at agway... they work fine.

boondocker
08-20-2012, 11:18 AM
An Allen wrench in the drill chuck will turn your drill into a wire tie tool. Haaa what a grood idea!!! I should try that!

Dennis H.
08-20-2012, 02:39 PM
I have one of those fancy tying tool, works good but you have no feel when it will break. I might pick up one of the cheap ones when I start tying the main up at my dads cabin.

Another to try is those plastic zip-ties/wireties. I found that they hold up real nice and are tool free to put in. I have done entire runs with them but I found that they work nice to hold the mainline up and close to the wire until the mainline is tightened. Then go back and wiretie with the metal ones.

nymapleguy607
08-20-2012, 03:37 PM
I have both the auto tie and the manual hand tie. If your just tying mainline then using the auto tie works fine as long as the mainline ties are the right size. For tying around saddles or using smaller wire ties the manual is better because you have the feel. Both have there place in my tool box

stoweski
08-20-2012, 03:47 PM
You can rent my super twistee tool... for $30! :lol:

rayi
08-21-2012, 05:30 PM
What a bargan. Lests see Homestead Maple has a good chunk of my money (nice people to work with) Haights has another good chunk of the money (I wouldn't do bussness with any one else if they had what I need. They are great) and if the man from Smokey Lakes ever got back with me about a preheater and hood he would get another chunk. So with all the chunks gone I need to save as much of the crumbs as I can