PDA

View Full Version : Refractory cement

Paul VT
08-17-2012, 08:15 PM
I need to brick my new to me arch and I read in a earlier post that someone said not to use the premixed refractory cement. I have used it before and feel it didn't work as well as I felt it should have. I have looked a little for a dry mix without any luck finding it. Any thoughts?

sugarsand
08-18-2012, 05:19 AM
I"m curious too, what would the difference be. I used the premix because it was available, it seemed easy to use and did a good job, although it does need a little touch up after one season, possibly I went too thin in places.

sugarsand

maple flats
08-18-2012, 06:41 AM
I used premix in the firebox area and dry to cover the vermiculite under the raised flue area. The dry I just sprayed a fine mist on several times to get it to crust over. I'm not sure why pre mix is not good. If you want dry, go to a masonry supply where professional masons go, they'll have both types.

Middleton Maples
08-18-2012, 08:09 AM
Even though one refractory cement is pre-mixed and one is dry mixed both are totally different. Don't know why but they are. With the dry mix you just pour out what you want to use at that time in a different bucket then add water to it until you reach a consistency of what the pre-mixed is like. You just don't want to mix up too much at once because the refractory sets up quick.

Middleton Maples
08-18-2012, 08:27 AM
http://www.sears.com/aw-perkins-251-aw-perkins-castable-refractory-cement/p-SPM5707634103P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

This is the stuff.

maple flats
08-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Way too expensive. Go to a masonry store or even a maple dealer and the price is less (how about that, cheaper at a maple dealer? That might be the only item that is) When I did mine (back in 2007 or 08) I paid $17/gal for pre mix, and after that I saw the price in a Leader catalog for $35/3 gal pre mix. Sears is rarely the best price!

Middleton Maples
08-19-2012, 08:04 AM
No I just searched it to find the right product with a picture to show you what it is. I get it in bulk at RMI in Lee Massachusetts

red maples
08-20-2012, 08:54 AM
I used pre-mix though it was fine just need to make sure you do a very low heat(fire) to cure it as long as you do that it comes out fine.

Paul VT
08-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the input. I have located some non premixed refractory cement. Hope it will hold up better than premixed stuff. I used it before and had a low fire to cure it just like the directions said but after each season had to be almost completely redone.

Paul VT
08-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Wow! I purchased a 50 lb bucket of dry (not premixed) refractory cement today. $70! Should have plenty. If it holds up better than the premixed it will be worth it.