PDA

View Full Version : Trying to refilter niter, or something else?

notacarpenter
08-14-2012, 08:06 AM
I decided to reopen some of my jars that collected niter in the attempt to refilter and re-can. I poured about 5 quarts into a pre-filter and orlon filter, while trying to leave as much as the sediment as possible. When all had passed, I reheated to 185-190 and re-canned. But this time the syrup already appeared cloudy, but not the same as niter that forms from middle to bottom as it cools. Usually, the syrup will appear clear even as soon as it is canned, with niter forming later. Last year I did this with pretty good success(re-filtering), but I'm scratching my head on this one. Does syrup change in clarity each time it is reheated?

Another question is are there any other type of sediments that collect besides niter? I use an open fire pit with cinder blocks, the pan covers the fire area, and I redirect most of the smoke with a smoke stack in the back. I'm sure smoke can be part of the factor, but I never saw this much clarity issues as before. I thought I was getting better. Any input?

maplecrest
08-14-2012, 09:45 AM
had the same problem this and last year. start with nice clean syrup and reheat start jugging. get thru 20 of 40 gallons. check for grade and find it has gone cloudy. one thing i have found if you go above 180 with some batches of syrup it will release sugar sand.the last batch i had trouble with i refiltered with press 3 times. and the last 4 gallons were cloudy.now i have also noticed. from last year and this year. that the trouble syrup was made on the days i made the most syrup. my largest sap flow days! i try to keep my canning temp at 180. i have found at 185 i need to refilter,sugar sand is released

buck3m
08-28-2012, 11:12 AM
I think last season was the first year ever where we had no nitre in any batches of our syrup. The key for us seemed to be steadily stirring as we heated the syrup so the syrup at the bottom of the pot doesn't get too hot and release nitre. I want to get a water jacketed bottler to make it easier to safely reach and maintain a proper temperature.