PDA

View Full Version : Sugar bush appraisals

maplebluff
08-13-2012, 03:50 PM
I am interested to see if anyone has any expierience with obtaining a realistic appraisal on a existing sugar bush as a going concern.
We are looking to do some restructuring of the financing on our recently developed operation here in Northern Michigan and we are finding it difficult to locate someone that has the expertise needed to formulate a solid opinion.

My thought is that we may have to link a local appraiser up with someone from the new england states that truly understands the maple industries evaluation paramiters and see if they might be able to co-op an opinion that would satisfy our needs. Any input on this subject would be much appreciated.

Thanks

sjdoyon
08-13-2012, 06:21 PM
As you know about real estate, location plays a big part in the price along with how much income the syrup or land can produce. Even here in Vermont, you can have a 5,000 tap operation on 100 acres on the Western side of the state and you're looking at a price easily above half a million. We're located in Northeast Vermont and our prices here would be at least 50-60 percent less due to the low value of land and lack of jobs. Check with some local real estate agencies and ask if they have sold a sugaring operation in the past few years. They might be able to give you a good lead.

Check out the following website, I know I've seen some sugaring operations for sale in the past six months in the state.
WWW.FARMANDFOREST.COM

maplebluff
08-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the input sjdoyon, I will check out the website that you posted and also query our local mls listings for recent sales.

Brokermike
08-14-2012, 09:25 AM
I know that Mark Riley at Vermont Forest and Field is both a consulting Forester and a Realtor. He can probably give you some great advice. Just google Vermont Forest and Field, and make sure you're talking to Mark Riley Sr, not JR