PDA

View Full Version : wild berry

Randy Brutkoski
08-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Stringing tubing today and i found a few small berry bush that had about 6 berries on each one.They almost looked like blueberries, same size as one too. I broke one open and it had a pit. The plant was about 16 inches high. Anyone have an idea. They are not poke berries.

spud
08-13-2012, 06:19 AM
I am not sure what they are but I have the same in my woods. I know one thing for sure and that is I'm not eating them. If I see you never posting again them I will know you ate of the forbidding fruit.:lol:

Spud

happy thoughts
08-13-2012, 06:34 AM
I can think of at least 10 wild plants with blue/black fruits this time of year, few of them edible. You'd need to describe the plant in detail or post a clear picture of branches, leaves and fruit before anyone can take a wild stab at id'ing your plant. Until then follow spud's advice :)

GeneralStark
08-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Stringing tubing today and i found a few small berry bush that had about 6 berries on each one.They almost looked like blueberries, same size as one too. I broke one open and it had a pit. The plant was about 16 inches high. Anyone have an idea. They are not poke berries.

Probably Blue Cohosh. It likes rich soils and is often in the understory beneath sugar maples.

Mike in NY
08-22-2012, 08:04 PM
speaking from experience the large pit withstanding I would advise against tasting them. both sour and bitter x 10 is what I recall before spitting them out. no fatalities occured during thist ill advised taste test...

Flat Lander Sugaring
08-24-2012, 05:48 AM
ill come up with weekend and you taste it, ill have cell phone ready for either picture or 911 call, I got your back buddy :)