PDA

View Full Version : stainless or plastic

boondocker
08-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Hey guys okin for some input on weather i sbould go with plastic or stainless for a head tank. Im leaning towards plastic because of the price differance. Any reason why i shouldent??? It will always be empty at night and rinsed so i dont see any reason to buy stainless......

spencer11
08-12-2012, 06:24 PM
ive heard to go with a small stainless one because it gets hot cause of the steam so a stainless one will keep the sap cooler

GeneralStark
08-13-2012, 08:08 AM
Go with stainless. Sure they cost more, but you will not regret it.

ennismaple
08-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Stainless. We used a 305 gallon poly tank for 2 years after we bought the Force 5 and I regretted it from about the 2nd boil. It was difficult to clean, didn't drain completely, trapped heat and generally just a PITA. We saved a few $ with the poly tank but ultimately we had to buy a stainless tank to replace it.

sjdoyon
08-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Pay the extra money for stainless. Easier to scrub down and clean. We have a 1200 gallon poly tank to store our water from our RO and when we drain it, we still have a good 20-30 gallons still sitting at the bottom when emptied. I'd hate to have concentrate or raw sap in such a tank.

red maples
08-14-2012, 07:40 AM
if you have the cash go stainless. they don't drain all the way and it difficult to get all the sap out. I have several 150 gallon poly's (the bath tub looking ones from bascom's)and they build up bacteria quicker so you need to wipe them down more often. These have I assume for structural integrity alot of curves and little corners so they are hard to clean. one more thing you really need to cover them or bring them in during the off season beacuse they will begin to break down over time (still takes a long time )as they don't have an ultraviolet protection agents in the plastic. But mine still look new. I will be switching to stainless eventually. When I have the money need a another good season.....not like last year!!!

mc-vi
08-15-2012, 05:12 PM
I dont want to say like everybody else but .... stainless without any doubt.

maple flats
08-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Be looking for a small SS in Craig's List, Ebay, online or where ever. Used are out there. I have several and all were good prices. A 415 gal for $100, a 545 gal for $300, 2 1000 gal for $700 each and a 200 gal for ZERO. None are for sale, but just keep your eyes and ears open. You will find one. If not use a cage tote (maybe even cut in half) the first year and keep looking. You'll find one.

Pumpkin Village Maple
09-20-2012, 08:05 AM
What about Rubbermaid tanks? I have a tote or two but I'm normally by myself and there hard to move by yourself. I'm 170 buckets strong and it a hobby. Only drawback is you cant't see your sap level but should be able to make up a site.

Al Hayford (been on the site for years) forgot my signin / password
Pumpkin Village Maple
170 Buckets
2x5 1/2 Algeirs Evaporato
and a great family.

lastwoodsman
09-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Rubbermaid tanks like those sold at TSC are not food grade. I called Rubbermaid and talked with a salesperson their made that clear.

motowbrowne
09-20-2012, 08:57 PM
stainless. keep your eyes on craigslist and find a used dairy tank. should be able to find one for around $1/gallon, maybe $1.50. It's worth it.