PDA

View Full Version : Moving indoors

cur dog
08-11-2012, 03:48 PM
This season I will be moving my hobby rig indoors. It will be in an existing 28 x 36 pole building. My plan is to partially enclose an area about 14 x18, to use as my "sugar house". I'm thinking about lining the walls and ceiling with the white fiberglass sheets like are used in food processing areas. This material should be water resistant and easy to clean. I would like to avoid buying a steam hood and cutting a hole thru my roof for the stack. Would it be workable to install a high output exhaust fan (4000-5000 cfm) in the outside wall at ceiling level? Would it exhaust out my steam?

Right now I've only got a small rig. In the future, I'm planning on going bigger, maybe more than once. Why spend the money on steam hoods and stack several times? Any thoughts?

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
08-11-2012, 06:43 PM
I ran a half pint for 2 seasons, and had a hood made of aluminium from a local shop fairly cheap and tig welded. It worked great this last season, and now with the purchase of the 2x6, I have no use for it, nor for the half pint. The first year with it I ran only 16 taps, and had no hood, and steamed the 12x10 building up alot, and it was hottttt. I I would think about putting up a cupola if I were you. You can use this with any size rig, and when time comes and you expand put the steam stack from the bigger rigs hood right to the cupola and youll be done. I would be interested in selling this hood if you are interested. I live near Montrose Pa. I see your also in NE Pa area.