PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a filter press or saty with Flat filters?

Thiems sugarshack
08-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Hey all looking for input.I was thinking about getting a 7in wes fab short filter press and was wondering if it was worth it.I hope to have around 300 taps this year and currently have a canner with filter rack.Any reviews of the filter press im looking at.Thanks for the input.

PerryFamily
08-12-2012, 05:47 AM
I have asked this question a couple of times myself. I have both but opted to use the flat filters last year as I was not sure on the operation of the press. It seems like most prefer the press. I am told once you get it setup it filters fast and you loose very little sweet by flushing with hot sap back into the flue pan.
On the other hand....
There are lots of people who use flat filters and make excellent quality syrup. I know a few "old schoolers " that I learned from who only use flat filters because they hate the thought of "adding" the DE to their syrup Seems as though I have read here somewhere that some people use DE even with flat filters.. I guess personal preference. But if you are packing in glass, the press is a must.
This year I am expanding considerably and plan on using the press. I am planning to build a cart with a heated press tank plumbed to the press. Hot syrup, Add DE, press into a barrel, reminder into the canner for smaller containers.
Just my opinion. Good Luck
JMP

maple flats
08-12-2012, 06:20 AM
I got my filter press when I had 325 taps and was real glad I did. While you can flat filter far more than that number (and several large producers do just that), I really liked the time savings and eliminating the hassle of all the pre-filters I had to keep washing to be ready to re-use.
It took very little time to get comfortable with using the filter press too. I started with a 3 bank 7" press and just recently ordered 2 more so I'll have 5 now so I can filter more between filter paper changes (I typically got 15-25 gal on a set before they filled with filter aid and sugar sand). My press and as I understand most if not all don't come with a good operating manual. I suggest you go to Proctor for an online generic manual. You really only need it the first 2-3 uses and after that you fully understand what to do and how to do it.
Good luck,
Dave

Thiems sugarshack
08-12-2012, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the input guys

lew
08-12-2012, 08:48 AM
We used to put 6-7000 taps through flat filters and never had any problems. We have had a filter press for years now and love it. Wouldn't do it any other way now. However at your size I would personally consider it a want and not a need. If you want it, get it. Do you "need" it, definitely not.

Maple Ridge Farm
08-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Once you start using the press you won't go back to flat papers.
Instructions aren't the best after a few times you will get the hang to it though.
A difinte must if bottling in glass.