PDA

View Full Version : arch and pan gasket

team40
08-07-2012, 07:02 PM
do any one use arch and pan gasket does it make it more air tite to help evap
rate or not? thank you

wiam
08-07-2012, 10:01 PM
It probably helps with the things you mention. My biggest reason to use is to keep ash and smoke going up the stack and not blowing around the sugarhouse.

team40
08-08-2012, 12:16 PM
ok i will invest in some so it will keep the shack clean thank you for your input

PerryFamily
08-08-2012, 06:49 PM
I had pan gasket between the pans and the arch, 1/2" I believe. And between the syrup and flue pan I had a piece of ceramic blanket sandwiched between the two as well as between the flue pan and stack base. My feelings are that the tighter you can keep your arch the more efficient it should be. Especially with smaller evaporators with small fire boxes. You can only put so much fire in there and it is harder to overcome leaks. Just my opinion. It is inexpensive as well. Good luck. JMP

team40
08-08-2012, 07:47 PM
thank you for the info i am getting a 2x4 mason and every little bit of heat i keep in that means that much faster i can boil

lakeview maple
08-09-2012, 09:28 PM
I agree with the Perry Farm, I insulate everything and try to contain all the heat inside of my 2x6 ,it keeps my boil more consistant and makes your arch more efficient,I used the blanket in my arch this year with very good results,Al

Flat Lander Sugaring
08-10-2012, 05:16 AM
I have been using rail gasket since I started but last year I installed 2" of ceramic blanket which was a tremendous increase in efficiency. This year I'm going to install another 1" for a total of 3". My tin was still warm to the touch so thats why I'm installing the other inch.

Hello Lakeview, hows it going?

team40
08-10-2012, 09:50 AM
where in the arch do you put the ceramic blanket? and i plan on trying to make it boil as agood as i can thanks for the help