PDA

View Full Version : Grates for a evapotator

G&D MapleSurgaring
08-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Anyone got an idea of a way of making grates for a homemade evapotator? Its a standard oil tank turning into a evapotator.
thanks

delivron
08-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Grates are made of Cast Iron. If you want them to last you will have to purchase them. They are relatively inexpensive. If you have a way to make a mold and pour you own you can make them your self. The grates are designed to take the high heat of the evaporator for long periods.
Lapierre sells them and they can be purchased from Maple Guys.

jmayerl
08-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Defiantly don't need cast grates. Just get1.5"x1.5" angle iron that is 3/16" thick. Weld them together with about a 3/8 gap between them, V up. I ran grates made like this for 3 years on a 2x6, last year with a blower and they look brand new yet. Cost me about 10 bucks in new steel.

Bernie/MA
08-05-2012, 08:09 PM
I had access to used grating that covered the pit in a carwash so used a piece. Lasted 2 seasons. If you are near a gravel screening plant I've used old screens too, only lasted one season but both were free. On one I built for a friend I used 2x2x3/16 square tubing on the diagonal half an inch apart so the ashes would fall thru. He's used it 3 years and it still looks good.

nymapleguy607
08-06-2012, 05:55 AM
Fire brick work very well for grates. You can drill 3/4" holes in the brick, 3 holes per brick. then set them on some supports made from angle iron. I used half brick for my grates.

G&D MapleSurgaring
08-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Thank You guys for the ideas!!

Z/MAN
08-06-2012, 09:26 PM
I made mine out of a old storm drain grate. It is VERY heavy and will last forever.

mike z
09-12-2012, 01:26 PM
#6 rebar worked for me. "Just keep the coals from piling up under and touching it", I was told.

jhd504
09-13-2012, 06:42 AM
I got some grates from Tractor Supply for my evaporator last year. They held up well last year. For the supports, I used some heavy fence t-post cut to length. The sections of fence post bent slightly from the heat but are still usable. I'll be putting the set-up to the heat test again this coming season.

valleyman
10-15-2012, 03:08 PM
I use the channeled heavy sign posts that the Dept Of Trans. use for the stop signs, yield signs, ect

psparr
10-15-2012, 03:38 PM
I picked up a cast iron radiator for $30. It is 3' long x 3" wide
I am going to cut the individual fins to length and lay them flat. The holes in the fins are 1/2". Just about perfect.

maple flats
10-15-2012, 06:41 PM
I use the channeled heavy sign posts that the Dept Of Trans. use for the stop signs, yield signs, ect
Doesn't your town notice their signs are laying on the ground? around here the frown on guys gutting off the sign posts.

Big_Eddy
11-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Simple Angle Iron grate. It may sag after a couple of seasons. Flip it over, take the big hammer to it and put it back into service.

V up to collect ash - the ash will protect the angle iron to some degree. I like wide gaps between the channels for lots of air flow. Load criss-cross and nothing will drop through.

valleyman
11-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Maple Flats

Dont forget we're talking about the Government. BIG Government. For every one post, I find 2-3 extra posts lying nearby just waiting to be put to good use!

I've found a couple of rusted channeled posts in my travels. All the signs are all still standing.

G&D MapleSurgaring
11-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Big Eddy,
Is it possible to have the v of the angle iron facing up if i were to make a stand like yours?

RileySugarbush
11-05-2012, 10:41 PM
If the V's are up, the slots tend to clog up with ashes and embers. Mine is much like Big Eddy's, but with somewhat narrower slots. Still like new after 4 or 5 years.

Big_Eddy
11-06-2012, 08:38 AM
Big Eddy,
Is it possible to have the v of the angle iron facing up if i were to make a stand like yours?

If the angle iron is used with the V opening upwards as shown, ash will collect in the valley protecting the steel, and ash will fall through the gaps maintaining air flow to the fire.

If you invert the angle iron (upside down V) then there is no protection for the steel, and the air gaps will fill with ash and coals and choke off the fire.

It's a bit harder to weld it up this way, but it will last longer overall.

HyeOnMaple
01-18-2013, 08:52 AM
I picked up one of these from my father-in-law (he has about a dozen of various sizes) and I busted it apart last night. These are going to last longer than I will and they are the perfect length. I figure 5 abreast will give me all I need for coverage.

Groves
01-18-2013, 09:37 AM
1. scalloped landscaping blocks
2. cut lengths of iron pipe
3. done

Definitely low tech, but works for me. We have a block arch, though.