PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Phaneuf evaporator thermometer problem.

Three Maples
07-26-2012, 07:12 AM
First off I have a Patrick Phaneuf reverse flow 3.5'X9' on a leader arch and I must be one of the lucky ones. They come on time and are great, boil nicely and the quality for the money is great. Now the question. The thermometers are on an angle so they can be removed with sweet in the pans. It requires 12 inch probes and i am running 1.5 inchs in the pan. The thermometers, there are two one on each drawoff, do not seem to be deep enough to give readings. I did rig up fitting that alow the probe to wobble by drilling plugs at an angle. Sort of works. Does anybody else have this problem and is there a fix?

SIGNGUY
08-06-2012, 11:30 AM
I also need to purchase some thermometers for a set of Phaneuf 3x8 pans......Any help with the right ones would be great! I cant seem to get Mr. Phaneuf to return my emails.....
Thank you in advance for any help you can throw out there......

heus
08-06-2012, 11:50 AM
The Hanna 12" digital worked great on my 2x6 Phaneuf evaporator.

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
08-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Yeah, We just bought our 2x6 off of Heus, and he had a digital thermometer on it. I hope it works good. I also like that one because it goes to the tenth of a degree reading as well.

Three Maples
08-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Patrick told me 12 inch but they are not long enough, maybe digital is the best as the probe is a thermal coupler not a link. Sounds like the didgital works. I can tell you the 12 inch dial type did not wrk for me.

mapleack
08-07-2012, 03:53 PM
This is a dumb question, but are you moving the brass ferrule on the thermometer probe to allow it to go deeper? If a 12" thermometer wont reach the bottom then Patrick didn't put the ports in at the correct angle, IMO.

Three Maples
08-08-2012, 11:15 AM
I do not have brass couplers on the thermometers. It does seem the angle is wrong if holds the tip up about 1/2 inch if I rig it up to hold it at 1/4 inch it seems to work. Do you know what the correct depth sould be?

mapleack
08-08-2012, 11:45 AM
The thermometer tip should be in the middle of the syrup depth, if 1" of syrup, then the tip should be 1/2" off the bottom. Could you post a picture of your thermometer port and thermometer?

Three Maples
08-16-2012, 07:58 AM
The latest word is to put a large philips scew driver in the fitting and give it a little bend untill the tip is 1/4 inch off the bottom. That is said to come from Patrick. Makes sense as i have found that the tip needs to be at 1/4" to work as the stem comes into the pan at an angle. So guess i will try that next time.

concord maple
08-16-2012, 07:54 PM
The latest word is to put a large philips scew driver in the fitting and give it a little bend untill the tip is 1/4 inch off the bottom. That is said to come from Patrick. Makes sense as i have found that the tip needs to be at 1/4" to work as the stem comes into the pan at an angle. So guess i will try that next time.
On my last 2 pans from Patrick I threaded in a plug and used a vise grip to get the angle just right to be 1/4" from bottom of pan with tip of thermometer. I use a 9" thermometer and this method has worked both times I had to do it.