PDA

View Full Version : Maple Syrup Equipment Auction

christopherh
07-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Maple Syrup Equipment Auction is Sept.15th in Orwell, Ohio. Details are on Auctionzip.com http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=1441237&kwd=&zip=44064&category=0

RC Maple
08-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Glad you posted this! I've had a post or two on here asking if this auction happened every year or if last year was the first. I even e-mailed the OMPA site and never heard back. I just started last year and going to this sale was a big help. I'll put it on the calendar.

OneLegJohn
08-27-2012, 06:28 AM
I couldn't believe how many maple addicts were there last year. There was a ton of stuff for sale, too.

Hubbard Run
08-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Cool! I hope to make it there. For those who were there last year, what were the prices like? Better than or more than buying from a dealer? I am always amazed how some people will pay too much for used items at auction.

maple flats
08-27-2012, 07:40 PM
From what I saw, the prices were far better than a dealer, but as far as maple equipment auctions go they were about in the middle. Your best prices for maple equipment are when an auction only has a limited selection of maple and most of the auction is for non maple stuff. It all boils down to how many are bidding on the item you want and how much they want it. Autions can run the full range from very cheap to far too expensive solely because no one wanted it or 2 or more wanted it too much to be realistic on what they should pay.
One example: I have sold 2- 3hp electric motors off vacuum pumps, at 2 different auctions. Both ran and both were sold where a good crowd attended the auction. One sold for $15 and the other sold for over $100. The lower price was at the winter maple conference in Verona, NY and the higher price I got at Ray's auction last year.