PDA

View Full Version : To press or not to press.....that is the question

PerryFamily
07-15-2012, 08:35 AM
Quick background info. When I bought my operation it came with a leader 16"x16" filter / canner as well a 7" wesfab hand pump filter press.

Last year, being my inaugural year going solo, I opted not to use the filter press. I filtered and canned from the leader unit. My thought process was this:' I have enough to figure out already, I know nothing about running a press, and I dont want to chance loosing any syrup'. The canner worked pretty well. Cleaning filters was kinda messy and a pain. Only holding eight gallons I could fill it pretty easy on an average boil. My tap count last year was somewhere around 200 of my own, and I purchased sap from a friend who has 350 ( I was not the only one buying his sap ). This coming year i will be purchasing all of his sap, as well as setting up 3 smaller bushes with anywhere from 200-250 each. Total somewhere around 1000 +/- if all goes well. Oh ya and I boil on a 2x6 leader patriot unit.
These are the question: Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
1) Keep the same canner unit and set up the press to filter.

2) Sell both the canner unit and filter press and get a much larger filter / canning unit.

I get differing opinions on everything. I know a few old time sugar makers who refuse to use the D.E required for pressing. I think the feel it goes against the "nothing added" statement. Then others say a press is the only way to go.

Bottom line is I want to produce the highest quality possible, but do it as simple as possible. I like a clean streamlined operation.

Any info or opinions will be greatly appreciated. And before the question is asked, YES I am in the market and looking for a small RO. Dont think I could do that amount without one !!!!!!

Daryl
07-15-2012, 09:23 AM
If you bottle in glass, a filter press is the way to go. With the press that you have, put a valve and a smaller pipe with a elbow and fill containers right from the filter press.
Have fun with the expansion

PerryFamily
07-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Hey Daryl- I talked to you this spring about Gingrich Ro units. Hope your summer is going well. I read somewhere that rays unit will take sap from 2% to 8% in one pass? Have you found that is the case? while looking at the CDL openhouse , they said theirs will not, just curious.

Also you said to push you syrup through the press with hot sap. How do you accomplish this? I was thinking a fitting on my flue pan drain? or just fill up the press tank and pump it through?? Thanks again.

Dennis H.
07-15-2012, 05:07 PM
Filter press is the only way to go if filtering any more than a few gals at a time.
Heck even a few gals is worth while using a filterpress, just use less plates.
During season filtering of syrup after drawing it off the evap you should have very little if any lost syrup.
After filtering the syrup I wheel the filter press out to the evap and stuff both hoses into the flue pan and flush out the filterpress.

PerryFamily
07-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Ah, I see now. Basically flushing the sweet back into the pan. Makes total sense to me now. Sometimes I tend to over think and make things more complicated than need be.

wiam
07-15-2012, 08:33 PM
I run a couple of gallons of permeate or condensate through the press into the back pan to flush. This is on a 7" press. I would not want to use filters on my 1000 taps.

maple flats
07-16-2012, 06:21 AM
Being a hand press, I'm not sure, but I think it would be better to use the press. If it was electric the answer would definately be yes. The first time or 2 uyou use the press it may take some getting used to but they are really simple to operate.There is a generic operation manual available, I think it was from Proctor or Cornell, but I'm not sure. Someone will chime in for it. I think the biggest thing to learn is the amount of filter aid to use and the initial charging of the filter aid into the press. With little practice you will soon learn if you are using too much or too little FA, and as the syrup changes during the season the amount changes. There is really no formula, it varies by what your syrup is like. This learning curve is easy though (even I can do it).

DrTimPerkins
07-16-2012, 07:55 PM
There is a generic operation manual available, I think it was from Proctor or Cornell, but I'm not sure.

It is a UVM Proctor Maple Research Center publication. http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/filter_press_brochure.pdf

maple flats
07-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Thanks Doc.
Dave

Sunday Rock Maple
07-17-2012, 09:08 PM
If it's just for fun than the filter is fine. If it's a business -- go with the press, you won't regret it.

PerryFamily
07-18-2012, 06:42 PM
It is really a combination of both fun and business. I really enjoy everything about making syrup, and at that time of year I have literally nothing to do. Mud season for me means very little snow to plow, besides those freak spring storms, and no excavation work due to the snow and posted roads. For me I really enjoy doing it and have nothing but time to do it. That being said, I would like to build my operation to a well oiled smaller commercial operation. I would love to sell 100% retail but in reality I would be happy to bulk pack my syrup for like a 75% wholesale and 25% retail sales. I like the idea of not having to fill and purchase all of the retail containers and would like to sell a bunch at once instead of $10 here and there.

Either way I would like to make the best product possible . So it seems like the press is the way to go.

Anyone think a water run with the press is a good idea? T get the hang of how it operates.

Thanks for the opinions

wiam
07-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Anyone think a water run with the press is a good idea? T get the hang of how it operates.

Thanks for the opinions

Water would go through the press way different than syrup. It would tell you if connections were tight and rinse any gook out though. I was in a sugarhouse with a brand new 20" running for the first time and there were loose connections. We were looking for wrenches in a hurry.

PerryFamily
07-18-2012, 09:47 PM
That's what I was thinking. Just to get familiar with set up and tear down as well as to check for leaks. I would really like to build a stand on wheels for it. Like the big ones. Mostly to save on counter space. Was thinking of a way to actually attach a stainless draw off tank to it. shouldn't be too hard.
Draw off, adjust density, pump through filter while hot into the canner??
Any need to filter again in the canner? Was thinking just a pre filter for kicks. Shouldn't need it though really. Probably just a needless step.

Also the papers I got with it a couple years old. In the box still.Tthink they are ok to use? Not too expensive, probably shouldn't chance it.

Thompson's Tree Farm
07-19-2012, 03:10 AM
As long as the papers did not get dusty or dirty or wet somehow, they should be fine.

tuckermtn
07-19-2012, 05:50 AM
I would consider getting a second, larger canner. With 1000 taps and adding an RO, you will have a syrup storage/handling situation. We have two canners- an 18 gal one and a 28 gallon one. We have ours sized so that between the two canners we can hot pack a barrel all at once. During the season there are times when both of them fill up pretty quickly (means I am not doing my job, as I am the finish and filter man) as we average around 5 gph of syrup production- so those canners can fill up fast. We concentrate to 6-8% on average.
as for the press- do you have a local producer near you that could come spend a few minutes showing you how to set-up and run your press? Parker came over here the first time I ran my press and gave me the details on how to run it. Huge help. Between the UVM handout and Parker, we were off and running- and I have never looked back...

I would also think about getting a simple oberdorfer gear pump and a small motor for the press. Think you could get up and running for under $400 for a pump and motor.

Finally- we use a roll around bedside food tray holder from a hospital for a filter press cart. Its stainless, beefy, and the price was right- free when the local hospital was doing a renovation.

Amber Gold
07-19-2012, 07:02 PM
You won't get anything by running water through it. Presses are pretty easy to operatate...make sure all the markers are on the same side, add plenty of DE (only downside of using too much is you break it down more often), and keep pushing through it while adding a little DE w/ each batch until it won't go through anymore. There'll be some quirks to figure out, but it's really pretty easy.

Two canners is nice and I too have one's like Eric's. Is nice too because when you're packing in the off-season, you can heat in one, pump it through the press to the other canner, then bottle.

I like Eric's idea of using a bedside tray (where can I find one?), but for now it sits on a 40-gal drum. I would recommend a double diaphragm pump instead...simple and nothing to wear out. Put your air compressor in another room/building so you don't hear it. I bought the one below and it's rated for syrup temps.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/WARRENRUPP-Air-Operated-Diaphragm-Pump-2ERY9?Pid=search

PerryFamily
07-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Tucker Mtn- I think you are on to something with the storage of finished syrup. Virtually each time I boiled last yr I filled the existing 8 gallon canner I have.
My thought with keeping the 8 gallon one was I could hot pack a 5 gallon drum and put the other 3 into retail containers. But I think you are right with 1000 taps and a RO ( with a little luck ) that will be a huge amount of syrup than I had to deal with this year.

The hospital cart sounds like a great Idea. I would absolutely like to convert the press over to electric. The $400 figure is what I figured as well.

I have a stainless 4 wheel dollie that I would like to mount a 4-5 gallon drawoff tank on and hard plumb to the press. Time will tell.

Thanks for the responses

PerryFamily
07-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Amber Gold- I looked at the pump you have for your press. You are right they are pretty simple. I used to use air diaphragm pumps just like that drilling water wells. Only they were much larger, 4" I think. Anyway they are simple .,,I was thinking about selling my hand press and buying the electric one until I saw how much they are. I think like everything the price has gone up since a few years ago.

Also thinking I might have a new canning tank built. My buddy is a excellent tig welder and I think I can get one built pretty reasonable. Probably wont be shiny though with a little elbow grease it would be fine.