PDA

View Full Version : blueberries

slammer3364
07-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Having some prob
lems with my blueberries,the one type andI dont know what type are dying off,these plants are over twenty years old,Anybody know where I can get some good plants,I got all these from Miller NuseriesThanks for any info

maple flats
07-09-2012, 04:33 AM
How many you looking for? While now is not the time to plant, you can make sure the soil is right for them and correct if needed. I can help some. 1st, get a soil test mainly for PH. From there I can give you a guide to making it good for blueberries. Till up the spot you want to plant and after it dries, collect soil from several places in that tilled area. While fall plantings are sometimes successful, early spring is best. As soon as syrup is over and the soil dries enough to work and not turn to mud. In Central Pa, you might be talking mid April, my soil and area I plant requires me to wait until a week or 2 later in a dry year and up to about mid may in wetter years. I have 4.5 acres of blueberries, all planted as rooted cuttings in 1982-87. The price is far cheaper but it takes about 3-4 yrs longer to get to maturity compared to planting 3 yr old potted plants. There are also 2 yr bare root and 2 yr potted plants. Give me some numbers on quantity and I'll steer you to a few wholesalers.

Sunday Rock Maple
07-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Dave,

Do you wholesale, roadside, or U pick?

Thad Blaisdell
07-09-2012, 08:56 PM
For buying plants.... Pense Nursery, look for the 3 year old plants excellent large plants. Good bang for the buck

http://www.alcasoft.com/pense/raspbery.html

maple flats
07-09-2012, 09:07 PM
The vast majority is sold u-pick. We do pick and sell at farmers market both blueberries and Red Raspberries, plus we wholesale to one greenhouse operator who covers 3 farmers markets (the one we do and 2 others) At the one we do we are next to each other, and we both do well on both berries. At that market it is surprising how fast Red Raspberries sell at $5.00/pt. He might also start selling my syrup, but no deal yet. We're going to discuss it Thursday.