PDA

View Full Version : More information

buck3m
04-03-2006, 06:59 AM
I looked at my filter, it looks fine with no holes or thin spots. I didn't wring it or milk it, I just let it run through. The only thing I did was lift up the end of the cone to let it filter through the side.

The last batch looked cloudy immediately upon finishing, but has since cleared with the residue settling to the bottom. The residue looks lighter than the (darker than average) syrup when held to the light, and is much lighter than most of the sugar sand that was filtered out. I poured off the top of a couple of jars to sample the residue. It tastes like the rest of the syrup, and isn't crunchy or gritty.

It would appear to me to be either very fine and small crystals or very fine and small sugar sand! Any further comments/ideas?

buck3m
04-03-2006, 07:02 AM
(Meant to post that under "Sugar Crystals or Sugar Sand")

mountainvan
04-03-2006, 05:13 PM
If you draw of below 66% and finish in a seperate pan you should refilter the syrup to "polish" it. It all sounds like sand to me, crystals take awhile to grow out of the syrup.

325abn
04-03-2006, 08:27 PM
No ideas for your issue.

I am however interested in your "Modified Cattle Watering Tank for the Stove!" can you post some details and photos?

Thanks. :)