PDA

View Full Version : UPC codes

batsofbedlam
07-06-2012, 07:01 AM
As our business grows, we are selling more to chain grocery stores. Usually one of their first questions is whether we have UPC codes on our syrup jugs. We haven't been turned down because we lack UPC coded yet, but that day may come.
Does anyone have experience in this area? In Googling the question, I see that just the application costs about $750 and add $150 per year per code. Thats a lot of overhead.

Mark
07-06-2012, 04:50 PM
That is not per code, you get to add the last two digits which will give you 100 codes. That is what I did and it is the best way to do it and you will not have any problems. The stores sure are more receptive with the bar codes especially if it is a busy store.
There are a bunch of people on the web that sublease codes but I would not feel comfortable doing that and have them silk screened on my jugs. If there was a problem you would have to redo all the silk screens.

batsofbedlam
07-06-2012, 09:12 PM
I wonder if any maple association has purchased codes and sold them to their members to help them out.

Mark
07-07-2012, 11:16 PM
There are only a few resellers that can sublease codes, they bought up a bunch of numbers before it was outlawed and were grandfathered in. An association may not be able to do that but it is something to look into. If they did not sell them there might be a loop hole to do it.

batsofbedlam
07-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Good info. Thanks.

Snow Hill Farm
07-09-2012, 09:50 AM
I use Barcodes Talk, Inc. and they are a re-seller, $75 for 10 codes and I use stickers. I haven't had any problems and I'm in a couple of large grocery chains. Some chains like Wal-Mart do require the more expensive type but the majority dont and it saves a lot of $....

Randy Brutkoski
07-09-2012, 07:33 PM
I bought 10 UPC codes from Barcodes Talk today for $39.50. They are running a special right now.

bigtreemaple
07-09-2012, 09:04 PM
So if you buy 10 codes that means you can do 10 products or sizes, is that only good for some period of time? Or can you use them for an indefinite period of time on as many jugs as you wish?

Randy Brutkoski
07-11-2012, 12:35 PM
That would be your code. You can put the bar codes on a million jugs if you want.