PDA

View Full Version : Blower question

Adammp1
07-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Just ordered a blower which I intend to use with my half-pint evaporator. Only cost $39.99, new on the internet. It is rated at 60cfm. Is that cfm rating suitable for this application? I intend to attach this blower to a 3" tube with holes in it that runs lengthwise under the grate. (installed by previous owner); so I'm not sure how/if this will work...and thoughts? thanks.

spencer11
07-05-2012, 09:53 AM
im not a blower genious but just test it and find a good spot that gives it enough air. make a box to put it in with holes and a board so you can block them off or not so you can control air flow

maple flats
07-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Having some experience in blower fans for outdoor furnaces, I think 60 cfm is too small. On furnaces we sold and serviced when we were dealers, the smallest blower was 100 cfm and that never burned as hard as you want the evaporator to boil. For under fire air I would think you want at least 150 cfm, and maybe even 200 cfm as lone as you are using a squirrel cage blower. Costs would prohibit a high pressure blower on such a low potential boil rate unit, you would not recoup your investment. Try to find a 150-200 cfm used blower for under fire air. But realize, while it will make the pan boil faster, it will eat more wood to do it.

maple maniac65
07-06-2012, 05:49 AM
I have a 250cfm blower on my sons 2x2. We have AUF and it does a decent job. There are just grates inside so basically the air just blows straight up if the wood it is burning is still solid. I bought it off from ebay for around $40.00. It is a air duct type blower with metal impeller. We bought one with a plastic impeller and put it within 2 feet of the arch but it sucked heat back up and melted the impeller. It now is drawing cold air from outside.

jmayerl
07-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Very underpowered. You will need the draft door open with it on.

Jec
07-31-2012, 08:32 PM
You might be able to go to a HVAC store and they can set you up with an used oil burner with just the fan. Then you need to close off the other holes with some sheet metal. That type of blower is pretty good for my 2'x5'.