PDA

View Full Version : The Gathering tank articles.....july 2012

red maples
07-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Hi all...
First as for the carlisle changes well on the front page it says this year but the title of the article says 2013. so really not sure which it is.

I am not really happy about the change. I know in the past there has been some issues with judgeing etc. I like to enter in the deerfield fair which is 20 mins from my house now I will have to take it to londonderry which is 45 mins away and for some people its even longer than that to get to a board member. I have yet to get to a summer meeting as our summer vacation always falls on the same day as the meeting(usually driving day)

So if the changes are for this year 2012 I won't be entering my syrup. which is too bad. I guess the only good thing about the judging being all at the same place and the judging will all be done by the same team of judges.

Also looking at the article for "the homestead licensing". I was on the understand that maple candy and cream were OK because it is 100% syrup. but making anything with other ingredients like fudge or maple nuts you had to have the licensing. I do plan on getting the homestead license anyway I guess I will doing that sooner rather than later.

The other thing that I found curious is in the IMSI report. it says that Vermont, Maine And NH were all committed to the grade change. but isn't VT still trying to keep to keep the fancy or they is it they basically have accepted it and are just trying to keep the fancy??? not sure about that one either.

But the most disturbing is the "surprise" FDA inspections. I have nothing to hide....just uncle sam with its fingers in everything....just like everyone else I don't like it. I guess to keep it positive it helps everyone stay honest!!!! Does anyone know of the sugarhouse that got inspected and how thorough they were if they were jerks or what...just curious. I read in the maple news forget what issue it was but the folks evaping with oil were to scrutinized with rules and regs and subject to reg inspects etc etc etc.

Amber Gold
07-06-2012, 08:58 PM
I haven't gotten my Gathering Tank yet...just back from vacation. What are the Carlisle rule changes?

I did talk to one FDA inspected SH...lots of questions, but I guess it wasn't too bad. Were there others?

I want to develop more products before I can justify the homestead license. I don't know if you could sell enough product to cover the annual licensing fee and water test that are required if you're only selling a couple of items. I'll spend the off-season developing a few more items and try to get it before next maple season.

gearpump
07-07-2012, 09:16 AM
The Gathering Tank is now available on the NHMPA website under the members only section. You have to get the log-in information from Robin if you haven't already. It says the changes in rules are for the 2013 contest, so at first I thought it was effective immediately for the 2013 January winter meeting judging, but if we're going to be discussing it at the summer meeting and the preliminary entries are due before the summer meeting, then maybe not. Plus it says there will be an entry form on the website and there isn't. Now I am confused.

maple maniac65
07-08-2012, 06:53 AM
Carlisle Award Entry Form

This completed form must accompany all entries to be considered. Only one entry per sugar house will be accepted. Entry deadline is July 15.

Name:_____________________________________________ __________________
Sugar House Name: __________________________________________________ __
Address: __________________________________________________ ___________
__________________________________________________ ____________
County: _____________________________ Phone: __________________________
Syrup Grade Entered: Light _____ Medium _____ Dark _____
I do not want my entry returned to me (check here) ______
Please fold and attach this form to your entry with a rubber band.
All entries are to be submitted to one of the following people. Please contact one of them to set up a time that will work.

Bodie Peters, Sugar Hill, 823-7708 Hank Kenney, Marlborough, 876-3838
Tim Robinson, Chocorua, 323-9320 Paul Messer, Orford, 353-4883
Don Lassonde, Warner, 456-6052 Mike Moore, Canterbury, 783-0321
Howard Pearl, Loudon, 435-6587 Hank Peterson, Londonderry, 432-8427
Bill Eva, Hancock, 525-3566 Dave Scanlon, Bow, 228-4449
Ben Fiske, Temple, 562-6595 Peter Thomson, Orford, 353-4111
Dave Fuller, Lancaster, 788-2719 Bill Cheney, Thornton, 726-3829

I hope this helps if you have any questions please feel free to call me. 603 823 7708 Bodie

Amber Gold
07-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Why the change and the short notice? Why are we grading the syrup now? I thought it worked fine the way we did it before, and it encouraged involvement in the fairs, which is a good thing.

gearpump
07-09-2012, 08:13 PM
The thing that bothers me the most is that we only get one chance to qualify. I usually enter three fairs a year and that gives me three chances to place for the Carlisle. I do wonder how this will effect entries in the State Fairs. I think this whole thing has evolved because the State is not paying for State Inspectors at the fairs.

red maples
07-10-2012, 06:13 AM
Yeah....I thought the same thing about the fairs and having a second chance and a chance to finetune your syrup by entering into more than 1 fair we are only human and might be very heavy or you might miss something...I have to go check out the website is that where the new rules are posted? Grading why? One question I have so since there will be no more grade B for the new grading system then all syrup will be legal for entry as long as there are no off flavors.

I will still be entering in the deerfield fair, Rochester seems to be a joke I guess they don't call real inspectors just who ever happens to be judging.

Although now that I am thinking about it....they won't be judged as carlisle how will it be judged in the fairs??? Will they be judged with just random folks state Ag??? hmmmm. For honey I know they still call in honey judges(at least they do at sandwich and deerfield fairs) to do it although honey has nothing to do with flavor which seems odd to me its all about packaging. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens!!!

Amber Gold
07-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Anyone have the full results of the syrup testing? How many entered in each grade?

Thanks

red maples
07-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Good question!!! How was the meeting? and syrup results. Larry as a pretty good set-up doesn't he!!!