PDA

View Full Version : selling syrup for resale

chuck
07-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Forgive me if this topic has been covered before but... a farmer has approached me wanting to sell my syrup. He works several local farmer's markets and would like to add this to his offerings. He currently doesn't produce himself and so asked me. He would ike to put his own label on it. My question is what is required on the label if he is reselling it? I am guessing my info still needs to be on there somewhere? This is new to me, as up until this point I have only sold directly to end users. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thompson's Tree Farm
07-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Are you selling to him in a bulk container or will you package the syrup in retail containers?

Tmeeeh
07-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Here's the NH law on making and labeling syrup. http://agriculture.nh.gov/rules/index.htm look almost half way down this page and click on "Agr 904 maple syrup". If you are selling him retail containers your info needs to be on each one, if they are putting it in retail containers they should use their info. In any case you both would be well advised to read the laws.

chuck
07-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the info. I am familiar with the law but my confusion is with 429:14 which states that the label needs to have the name, address, zip of the "packer, distributor, OR producer". I am the packer and producer but in this case wouldn't be the distributor. So my question is does both our info need to be on the label.

wiam
07-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Seems like you would be the distributor. He is the retailer. The farmer's markets that we sell at require the vender to make the product. We are not allowed to sell something made or grown by somebody else.

red maples
07-04-2012, 09:12 AM
the big thing in the law is "OR" somebody has to have their name on it. If its a private label and you packed it for him your name needs to be on it with the words "packed by" on your label.

this year I did purchase suplimental syrup to sell although I am very up front with all my customers that it isn't my syrup and also who I buy from. Everyone is very understanding "especially this year". My customers understand I am a very small producer and the syrup is still local and made in NH. I also give them the info of local producers as well if they need it(because we are all on the same team here!!)What I don't particularly care for is the sugarhouses who have a 4-500 taps and are selling over a 1000 gallons of syrup. I don't do farmers markets because I don't have that much syrup. but I am growing so hopefully soemday I will be able to meet the needs for a farmers market...hopefully.

chuck
07-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Thanks for your imput Brad. Our thought was to put our info (produced by or packed by) on their label but the trick is that there isn't much room on the plastic for a big label without covering up all the graphics and neither one of us are at the point of wanting to buy plain jugs and full labels.