PDA

View Full Version : Maytag washing machine bucket washer

Maplerev
07-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Sap Bucket washer: I am trying to find information about building a "sap bucket washer". I have the large bucket brush from Leader. I have heard that some individuals have attached the brush to an old "Maytag" washing machine. Any information will help. Thanks

maple island farms
07-06-2012, 09:01 PM
I don't have any info but you just gave me a dang good idea.:)

Bucket Head
07-07-2012, 10:20 PM
I assume the maytag machine is needed for the gearbox/reduction unit? How many rpm's does it turn? Pretty slow? What if you could couple the brush to the shaft of a milk bulk tank agitator motor? Those are more plentifull and they turn around 40 rpm. I don't know how many rpm a bucket washer turns- maybe 40 is too slow? -Steve

sugarsand
07-08-2012, 06:00 AM
maplerev, will Leaders large brush work on 5 gal plastic pails? After spending days washing and scrubbing on buckets last season, I need to find something better in some form of mechanical system.

sugarsand

Newfvt
07-08-2012, 10:18 AM
There is a fellow, Herrick Kimball, out of Central New York who has plans and parts necessary to convert old washing machines into, of all things, chicken pluckers - for the backyard chicken raising set. I think he uses the motors, gears and tubs out of washers. Go to www.whizbangbooks.com and follow the link on the right to the chicken plucker stories. Herrick may have various gears and other parts necessary to drive a bucket washer properly.

Maplerev
07-10-2012, 01:36 PM
The information I heard was that you use the washing machine as it is, just replace the agitator with the brush. You fill the washing maching with hot water and go to it. I believe the agitation motion, back and forth, is what cleans the buckets.

I assume the maytag machine is needed for the gearbox/reduction unit? How many rpm's does it turn? Pretty slow? What if you could couple the brush to the shaft of a milk bulk tank agitator motor? Those are more plentifull and they turn around 40 rpm. I don't know how many rpm a bucket washer turns- maybe 40 is too slow? -Steve

Bucket Head
07-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Oh, okay- that explains it. I was thinking rpm's and not the action of the washing machine! Thanks for the explanation. -Steve

lmathews
07-22-2012, 06:45 AM
I know a few people that have adapted the brush to a tractor pto shaft on a pipe and let the tractor idle.dip it in wash water,then brush,then rinse & stack.

Bucket Head
07-22-2012, 11:24 AM
Thats a clever idea. Sap hauler and bucket washer all in one! Just don't let O.S.H.A. see it!!