PDA

View Full Version : WI Federal Disaster Declaration: 2012 Maple Season

Newfvt
07-01-2012, 09:30 AM
June 27, 2012: Governor Scott Walker, (R-WI) has requested the USDA Secretary of Agriculture to declare that Wisconsin Maple production was a disaster as a result of weather during the 2012 season. Duh? We knew that!

No doubt the request, if granted, is intended to turn on the Federal $$ faucet and let money flow from Washington to affected maple producers in Wisconsin.

Personally, in all my years, I have never seen the Fed's open their checkbook to come rescue a maple season. Didn't know they could or even would. Read the article below. It sounds as if your production was over "30 percent less" than some prior year, you qualify for Federal Aid!

I thought "we" just went with the weather, got what we got, and called it a good, bad or so-so season, hoping next year would be better. That's sguaring! I don't know any sugarmaker that's ever had it in the back of his mind that if we had a bad - or even non-existent season - the Federal government had our backside and would come bail us out of a financial jam.

To me this feels somehow "odd", especially since this is a Republican Governor with his hands out to a Democratic President and administration. Does someone know if Wisconsin Sugarmaker's asked for this to be requested on behalf of the WI maple producers? I somehow doubt a city-slicker Governor sitting in his office in "Madison" thought it up all by himself!

What do you guys think on this? If Governor Walker gets the disaster declaration he asked for, should Maple Producers step up to the Government Pay Window?

A lot of us have been reading the "CODE ENFORCER" story for months coming out of New York State. Is this "disaster declaration" going to mean yet another step toward more Government "participation" in the maple industry? Does it mean price supports...quotas...Maple crop insurance might one day be part of this business or hobby?

If you are in one of the affected Counties (Door, Florence, Kewaunee, Marinette and Shawano), would you take Uncle Sam's Maple Money?

I don't know if there is a right or wrong answer here - but let's discuss the pros and cons.

An article from the Green Bay Press Gazette is copied below for your review.

Steve

MADISON (June 27, 2012) — Gov. Scott Walker (R-WI) on Friday requested two federal agricultural disaster declarations for Wisconsin to help farmers who sustained losses this spring and summer as a result of extreme weather conditions that affected fruit trees and the maple syrup collection.

“Agriculture is the backbone of Wisconsin’s economy and many farmers are hurting as a result of unseasonable weather over the last year,” Walker said in a statement. “The hot conditions in March followed by a cold, wet April damaged many crops including Door County cherries and northern Wisconsin’s maple syrup harvest.”

Walker requested the Disaster Declarations from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The first request is for the entire state for the anticipated fruit tree losses. Agriculture officials estimate statewide losses could potentially be as high as 80 percent.

In addition, state agriculture officials report that the maple syrup losses were greater than 30 percent this spring as a result of the early warm weather in March followed by a cold April. The area counties listed in the request for maple syrup losses are Door, Florence, Kewaunee, Marinette and Shawano.

802maple
07-01-2012, 01:18 PM
This has happened here in Vermont, back in 1987 I believe, it was very similar to this year, and you could get assistance from the FEDS, alot of sugarmakers took advantage of this, but not including myself. I felt that I took the good with the bad and let it average out. I didn't downgrade anyone for it but it just wasn't in the cards for me.

jmayerl
07-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Well from what I have read on this it would not be a handout. It would be low interest loans made available to you. I was at 40 gallons for 800 taps so I'm sure I would be eligible but would never take it.

Ps, thanks for stopping by Friday and introducing yourself. It was a nice conversation.

heus
07-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Kind of like selling your soul to the devil (the federal govt being the devil).

220 maple
07-01-2012, 07:55 PM
This a great thread and I am curious if producers anywhere is interested in allowing the G-men in. Because once they get involved they will muck it up somehow. Hoping not to hijack the subject but did Sen. Chuckie Shchumer get the Maple Tap Act in the Farm Bill?

Mark 220 Maple

putzy
07-01-2012, 09:12 PM
I live in one of those counties that are on the list and being a large producer this year was very bad I will look in to this and see what it all intails sometimes there more headaches than help will survive this year hope next is a good one.

Mark
07-02-2012, 08:12 AM
I plan on having a bad year now and then. I carry over a couple thousand gallons just in case I have a bad year and am glad I did this year. You don't have to have bad weather to have a bad year, just problems with equipment or not being ready in time.
I am sure there would be strings attached with any handout. One thing I would be worried about is my customers finding out I was getting free money and in tough times that does not go over well.

driske
07-02-2012, 10:28 PM
I plan on having a bad year now and then. I carry over a couple thousand gallons just in case I have a bad year and am glad I did this year. You don't have to have bad weather to have a bad year, just problems with equipment or not being ready in time.
I am sure there would be strings attached with any handout. One thing I would be worried about is my customers finding out I was getting free money and in tough times that does not go over well.
The "strings attached" part is a usually a factor when gov't money is involved. Surrendering any portion of my autonomy as a business person never has sat well with me. Basically, I quit the 8 to 5 world years ago so I could call my own shots.
Looking back to the early 80's the Maple industry saw Canadian producers getting nice gov't bling to set up tubing systems and expand. Those same folks are now governed by a quota system and fixed prices. BYE BYE free market !! More than a few would trade shoes with us in" The States" anyday.
IMHO... Beware.....it's a slippery slope....

bigtreemaple
07-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Hoping not to hijack the subject but did Sen. Chuckie Shchumer get the Maple Tap Act in the Farm Bill?

Mark 220 Maple

bigtreemaple
07-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Hoping not to hijack the subject but did Sen. Chuckie Shchumer get the Maple Tap Act in the Farm Bill?

Mark 220 Maple Yes he did get it in the senate version of the bill and now it goes to the house for their version and vote. Who knows what will finally happen. I can't imangine that many tax payers would think that is an appropriate use of their tax money!

Newfvt
07-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Back I think in about '73 - that'd be nine-teen and seventy-three, we had maybe 5 acres of pretty much scrub land, sittin and doin nuthin.

Long came the man from You Es Dee Aye offerin to bring over his boys and plant us up a nice new stand 'o pine on that land. All free 'o charge of course. In 10, 12 maybe 15 years we'd have ourselves a nice stand of pine to gaze at. Who could turn the nice Govnmt man down? The trees went in.

Sure as the sun rises in the morning, long about the next April or May here comes a fancy white envelope from Washington Dee Cee - those You Es Dee Aye folks - with a check inside. It said "We just wanted to thank you for not growin cotton on that land we put trees on fer ya last year".

And sure as the sun sets, the next spring another fancy envelope from the same Govm't Agents - and another nice fat check. The note said they were sending it along to thank us profusely for not growin tobbaco on that land they planted them trees on 2 years back"

Last I knew there wasn't a whole lot of worry that anyone in Central VERMONT was gonna be a big player in the Cotton or Tobacco industries.

Those checks kicked around the house for years - never did get cashed, but I'll bet ya somewhere in the bowels of Washington Dee Cee there is a still flint eyed minion of the law who has made a career out of trying to balance the "Thanks for Not Growing Cotton and Tobbaco Program" books cause of those 2 uncashed checks.

A year or 2 after the MAPLE TAP ACT gets started, there'll be some cotton farmer in Alabama gettin a letter from the You Es Dee Aye thanking him for not tappin maples - as a token of our gratitude, a nice fat check is enclosed.

True story - predictor of the future!

Steve

bees1st
07-11-2012, 05:04 AM
True story - predictor of the future
" What do you think of that man out your way ? Would you call him an honest man or a liar ?"
" Well I wouldn't go so far as to call him a liar. But when he wants his cows to come in from pasture,
he's got to get somebody else to call em."

Vermonner
09-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Why do I think there's a "long end of the stick" to be mindful of in this situation? One of the realities of the auto bailout was a Car Czar (puppet), and now we have the Chevy Volt, selling (anemically) at 41K with a 40K production price tag based on 24 year old technology. You can't make me for one minute think that anyone with experience in Detroit thought this was a viable application of business, but with Government calling the shots, well, you know. What happens to maple when you invite in big government?

heus
09-01-2012, 12:02 PM
If government is involved, especially the federal government, you can bet it will be screwed up.