PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Carlisle Fair entry opportunity

gearpump
06-29-2012, 11:44 AM
The deadline is coming up for The Belnap County fair registrations. We have been the only one to enter for the past two years and the staff running the fair have been happy to have us place syrup, but I am sure they would like more syrup/maple entries.

Marty

http://www.bc4hfair.org/

red maples
06-29-2012, 01:34 PM
I would love to but that is a hike and a half for me down on the seacoast!!!

gearpump
07-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Ok just kidding on the title of this thread. Got the summer newsletter for the NHMPA and the rules have changed drastically. Carlisle is no longer associated with fair entries (I have heard that the state inspectors aren't part of the fair judging anymore so that's probably why). Instead we need to have a sample ready in twelve days for a special judging in time to be announced at the summer meeting. Yikes! What the heck. I think this will create quite a ruckus!

red maples
07-04-2012, 08:37 AM
well on the front page it says this year but the title of the article says 2013. so really not sure which it is.

I am not really happy about the change. I know in the past there has been some issues with judgeing etc. I like to enter in the deerfield fair which is 20 mins from my house now I will have to take it to londonderry which is 45 mins away. and for some people its even longer than that to get to a board member.

So if the changes are for this year 2012 I won't be entering my syrup. which is too bad. I guess the only good thing about the judging being all at the same place is the judging will all be done by the same team of judges.

Also looking at the article for the homestead licensing. I was on the understand that maple candy and cream were OK because it is 100% syrup. but making anything with other ingredients you had to have the licensing. I do plan on getting the homestead license anyway I guess I will doing that sooner rather than later. I am gonna start another thread about this stuff!!!

umpwood1
08-02-2012, 07:14 AM
This is going to be the first time I have entered my syrup to be judged. Could you give me some pointers on what to do to get it ready ? I need to have a quart. Any help would be GREAT.
Thanks

red maples
08-02-2012, 07:42 AM
Although carlisle will no longer be judged at the fairs. I believe you still need to submit your syrup in a 2lb honey jar. Check the fair you are entering to find out the dead line you need to enter your syrup (not all but usually you need to sign up ahead of time).

you will be judged on

Container
density...if you go under density disqualified and if you go heavy you start to loose points too heavy you loose 30 points
clarity
flavor

Flavor and density are the most important. Part of the thing that I am learning get the first 3 human parts perfect then you just have to rely on flavor and the palet of the judge.

red maples
08-02-2012, 07:44 AM
This is going to be the first time I have entered my syrup to be judged. Could you give me some pointers on what to do to get it ready ? I need to have a quart. Any help would be GREAT.
Thanks

Now all that said I just noticed you are from PA.........not sure about your fairs!!!

NH Maplemaker
08-02-2012, 11:55 AM
I personally an very disappointed that the NHMPA has decide that this is in everyones best interest! The NH Country Fairs are our link to farming in New Hampshire and we as maple farmers should support them every way we can! It is very hard to get maple producers to enter there products in these fair to keep maple in the forefront for fairs goers to see and understand!! The Carlisle enteries at our county fairs helped with that problem! Also it is a very good way for new young maple producers to learn about the NHMPA and help them to want to become menbers because of seeing us there!!
Then there is the problem of going to or getting your syrup to the summer meeting! These meeeting most always have poor attendance. How close is your NHMPA rep? How far from you is he or she? Now you have got to somehow get your entry to one of these folks. So most will say forget it! Weakening the competition with the same people winning every year! Just my two cents ! Yes I will be bring this subject up at the annual meeting this spring! JimL.

red maples
08-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Jim...I sent you a PM.