PDA

View Full Version : Adding more dividers to my 2x4

rookie
06-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Just had a brainstorm after reading some posts. Currently my 2x4 only has one center divider in it... I was thinking about adding 2 more dividers in it, would this be beneficial? and if so how much so. I'm thinking maybe i would draw more often and my syrup would be lighter? currently the center divider is 11 15/16 either side so if i put in 2 more I would have channels of about 5 13/16 roughly depending on ss thickness used. . . . Ideas thanks

spencer11
06-27-2012, 04:58 PM
all the dividers do is seperate the gradient more and make more lighter syrup. you should still draw off the same amount. and you would even just clamp them in if there is a way or weld or solder it in

rookie
06-28-2012, 10:01 AM
well i wasnt sure if i would have to seal the bottom tight or just tack it in a few places. my idea is that because the channels are smaller i will have more sweet pushed to the front faster, less sap mixed in with the sweet and draw more often. Last year I only drew off twice and I made for gallons. very dark. but delicioius I actualy prefer dark syrup

jrgagne99
06-28-2012, 10:43 AM
While your overall evaporation rate won't change, the channels will definately help you achieve more frequent, smaller draws. Speaking from experience, it will be much better to seal the bottom of the dividers tight against the bottom of the pan. My ability to establish a gradient on my homemade pan noticeably improved after I sealed the divider bottoms. At first, they were only tacked in place, and I think there was some significant diffusion across the seam.

SeanD
06-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Definitely put dividers in if you can. Ditto on the improved gradient and more frequent draws. The new sap mixing in is the big reason you got two big draws. I have three dividers in my front 3' pan. They are only spot welded in, but I still get a gradient. I put welds every few inches and I did it while I was building the pan so everything was pretty flat and square.

They form a pretty good seal, but I know there are a couple of places where liquid can seep through. I'm not too worried about it because the sweet is going to mostly follow the path of least resistance and head downstream toward the openings in the divider. I am still able to make light amber. I don't know. Maybe I'd make more if they were sealed up tight.

Jrgagne99, how did you seal yours?

There's also a science and an art to firing that plays a big role in how frequently you draw off - one I'm still trying to master.

Sean

Maple Hill
06-28-2012, 06:49 PM
You definitely need to seal the bottom of the partitions to make it really efficient.

rookie
06-28-2012, 08:32 PM
should i weld all along the bottom or is there a product or another way to seal it? I know i can solder it.... input please

smokeyamber
08-24-2012, 10:01 AM
I would think you could silver solder the bottoms of the dividers, key is a tight fit. I will be doing this with my homemade pan this season. There is a special flux that make this possible with stainless steel. Just be sure to use lead free high temp silver solder.