PDA

View Full Version : Protecting sugar shack

hounder
06-27-2012, 08:09 AM
I am sure that I am not the only one that lives rural and whos sugar shack is not near their house. We live on a dead end road and the sugar shack is about a quarter mile from our house and another quarter mile from the house below it. Last night I found a car parked below it and no one to be found. I went and got my house dogs and found the 2 young men just behind the sugar shack. They said they were watching the sunset...Now I am worried with the price of scrap about the security of my evaporator. There are locks on the doors, but we all know that is a 2 second job to get through. I put my trail camera up on the barn last night, but that will only help after the fact, if at all. Anyone have any ideas that they would share?

Brad W Wi
06-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Did you get the license plate numbers? If so notify the sheriff with it. Tell them what you found. My shack is a mile away from my house, but set off the road 125 yds. with a gate thats locked when I'm not there. Never had a problem. I figure theives are to lazy to walk back there. I do check it every day and sometimes a couple of times, it's my get away place.

red maples
06-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Gun and large Thermos of coffee and comfortable chair.

no just kidding. aaahhh 2 GUYS watching the sunset yeah suspicious or theyre gay(no offense)!!! plate # and report it at least if there is an incident you'll have the info of the folks that took it and make sure your ins. is paid up to date!!! Trail cameras are OK but don't always get a clear picture. I have tried them and you can't read a plate number.

hounder
06-28-2012, 02:11 PM
It was a BS story, and there was no pot smoking smell. We looked for plants that they may have been cultivating and found nothing. I got their plate number saved on my fridge for future reference. We have put my weimeraner and cattle dog in the shack at night, but I think my husband figured a way to put some electricity through the evaporator today - that will also help with the mice! I heard from someone that you can have an alarm on the doors that will call a phone number when it breaks connection. That sounds like a lot of fun, can you imagine the surprise when you show up right after they get in. Hopefully it is all for not, but I just spent a ton on it and am not wanting it to be someones scrap collection =) Thanks!