PDA

View Full Version : Evaporator repair question

Tapped Out
06-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Not certain if this is the correct place to post this, but here it goes...
We've got a Leader 2x6 arch that, like many I'm sure, has some rust on the exterior galvanized side panels. I'm looking for options to make them a bit more asthetically pleasing. Any help would be appreciated.

Bucket Head
06-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Wow. Thats a really small sugarhouse you have there in your picture...,lol. The cheapest way to improve the looks would be to replace the galv. with new galv. sides. A little fancier, and expensive, (but looks very nice!) would be to put stainless steel on it. Rust would be a thing of the past then! However, and regardless of which metal you use, you need to insulate the firebox to protect the new metal. Without it, the galv. will burn off and the shiny silver color of the stainless will darken and start to 'blue'. Not to mention the possible warping. The fiberglass blanket material is what I used on my arch and it works great. It does two things- protects your arch sides and keeps the heat where its supposed to be- under the pans, not radiating out and burning the front of your pants as your watching the boil!

Steve

sugarsand
06-26-2012, 08:29 AM
Tapped Out, we had same thing with the used arch we got. I brushed then sanded the sides, front and rails and applied two coats of black high temp paint. It still looks great. You could try this before going to the trouble of replacing side panels.

sugarsand

jrgagne99
06-26-2012, 10:19 AM
I suggest painting as well. That's what I did to mine two seasons ago, and it really looks nice and holds up well.

RileySugarbush
06-26-2012, 10:23 AM
CRC also makes a silver zinc paint that looks pretty good if you want to preserve the look. It is often called Cold Galvanize, but it is really just paint with tones of zinc in it. I have use it on dock parts but not on an arch. My arch is all black. I'm sure you would want to use it only on a well insulated arch.

rookie
06-27-2012, 01:51 PM
I painted my oil tank arch too with high heat black paint some times called grill paint. couple of cans 8 bucks and i was done. i didn't worry about sanding any surface rust, i'll just paint it again when it shows through.

Tapped Out
06-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Thanks, guys. I guess I'm leaning toward a bit of sanding and an application of a high temp paint. Any brand suggestions for a good quality high temp paint?

rookie
06-27-2012, 05:20 PM
I used rustoleum should be available at any hardware store

twin6
06-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Thanks, guys. I guess I'm leaning toward a bit of sanding and an application of a high temp paint. Any brand suggestions for a good quality high temp paint?

Rutland, rated 1200F. Tractor Supply carries it.

Tapped Out
07-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks again. I'll have to get some pics. up when it's done.