PDA

View Full Version : new to the sugar making process need some advice on ro`s and what ever else lol

maple36
06-25-2012, 04:24 PM
i recently purchased some land with a working sugar bush i was told by the son of the owner who has recently passed that it is about 3500 taps all vacumed lines and averages around 1000 gal of syrup a year and all equipment is around five years old. except the taps lines which may be older
it has a leader 6` by 16` evaporator with steam away and is fuel oil burned and processes 500 gal an hour of sap i was told that i could spend about anywhere from 7000 to upwards of 16000 in fuel costs. so i am trying to cut down on expenses right from the start and looking at options. i would like get an ro to help out. what could i get away with for now then upgrade later compared to what i can grow with. he has no real idea what it makes a year $$ for sure or anything too much about this operation the one who ran for his father has moved and i can not reach him for costs and yearly gross. also what would i need to start up every year as far as tubing taps etc to have on hand begining of the season any info would be helpful thanks any advice would be helpful. i did gathering as a kid and always wanted to invest in a sugar bush for either hobby or businees and now i have a chance.:)
dale

90 acre property
3500 taps on vacum
hoping to increase to 5500 in a few years

Bucket Head
06-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Congratulations! Sounds like a great set-up and good way to start a profitable business. I would'nt buy anything other than an RO! Its the best way to cut down on both fuel usage and boiling time. Their not cheap, but they are a must nowadays! Used ones can be had if a new one is'nt in the budget. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

Steve

jmayerl
06-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Don't waste your time with a 600gph RO, it won't keep up with your evaporator. Just pony up and get a 1200. It will cost 18-20k but it will pay for itself in the first few weeks of season.