PDA

View Full Version : Approximate cost for a 100 tap Vacuum system

Valleylakefarm
06-22-2012, 06:13 PM
If someone had a minute, I would appreciate knowing the cost of a 100 tap vacuum pump. Will it collect from the pump or is a separator needed?

Thanks I am new at this game.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
06-22-2012, 08:10 PM
you need to do a search on vac and do a little bit of research on your own. there are many hours of reading on this site . then come back with a question

Thad Blaisdell
06-22-2012, 09:04 PM
The best thing you could do is go see Glenn Goodrich at Goodrich's Maple in Cabot. They could explain all options easily.

Valleylakefarm
06-22-2012, 09:57 PM
No thank you

Valleylakefarm
06-22-2012, 10:02 PM
Thad, thanks I will go talk with Glenn. I felt like I talked his ear off and he gave me a very fair deal on a evaporator. I guess
I was fishing for a ballpark cost because I like to go talk with money in hand.

Thanks again

Bucket Head
06-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Do what many sugarmakers have done, including myself- go find an old dairy vacuum pump. Ask around, stop in and ask at the non-operating dairy farms in your area, go to some farm auctions, place a wanted add, etc. There are lots of them around that can be had reasonably, or offer to trade some syrup for one. The barter system still works! An old dairy pump will be a little easier on the wallet than a new one from a maple supply. The money saved can be spent on the tubing system, which is the critical part when it comes to vacuum.

Steve

Valleylakefarm
06-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Wow, thanks Steve that is an idea that I will look in to. I never would have thought of that, and I have milked goats.

wiam
06-23-2012, 07:13 AM
Most old dairy pumps will not run as high a vacuum as a maple pump with out some extra lubrication. Some piston pumps will come close. You will need a releaser if you go this route that will cost close to as much as a diaphragm pump from Glenn. A peristaltic pump can be used on that many taps which does not need a releaser. This all also depends if you ever get bigger...

Valleylakefarm
06-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Thanks william for explaining in brief the different types of pumps. I think your advice seems most sound after doing some research. I will go chat with Glenn, I still cannot find an approximate price for a peristaltic pump but I am sure Glenn will help. Thanks again.

delivron
06-24-2012, 07:46 AM
Consider a Sap Puller from Glen. It will handle in excess of 400 taps with high vaccum. No need for a releaser. http://www.goodrichmaplefarm.com/maple-producers-equipment/sap-puller-pumps.html. Units are available in AC or Gas Motor.

meadster02
06-25-2012, 02:13 AM
To answer your question a leader dealer told me for everything line, taps, tanks, vacuum pumps, releasers you can figure 12 dollars a tap. Now thats buying eberything new

philkasza
06-25-2012, 04:49 AM
You really want to buy from someone who will stand behind their products. We bought a vac pump from Glenn and were throughly unimpressed with the way were treated and even more unimpressed with the product we received. He is still working on the gas power vac pumps or in other words he does not have them figured out yet, just speaking from last years experience. I think I would buy a maple vac pump from Indiana Vaccum if you want to make money otherwise you could get and old dairy pump. It will not take long to pay for the extra of the maple vac pump. I would not buy a sap puller pump because it relys on the sap for vaccum (and not a lot of vaccum) so on a slow day you will not have good vac. Remember for every in of vac above 20 in. you get between 5 and 10 percent more sap. You can do the math.

Sam

Valleylakefarm
06-25-2012, 06:49 AM
Sam, Thank you. Your warning is being taken seriously and the cost/benefit has been weighed and I do believe I will hold off on any pumps until I find out if I am able to aquire another bit of land. Gravity and wood will be the energy source for this operation for now.

While my dealings with Glenn were brief I did get the feeling that he might knowingly sell you what is not best for you. However I find this very common amongst retailers that deal with so many people and Opinions. That said he gave me a great deal on an evaporator (ordered it from Lapierre for me), but I went there with a 20,000 tap customer of his. I did get much better info with my good friend present than I would have otherwise for sure. I was inclined to do business with him because he is about 20 minutes away. I always proceed cautiously... your warning is much appreciated.

wiam
06-25-2012, 02:53 PM
I would not buy a sap puller pump because it relys on the sap for vaccum (and not a lot of vaccum) so on a slow day you will not have good vac. Remember for every in of vac above 20 in. you get between 5 and 10 percent more sap. You can do the math.

Sam

Could you explain this. If you are talking about a diaphragm pump I have seen them run at 22" dry. Amount of sap has nothing to do with it. Check valves make the seal, not sap.

philkasza
06-26-2012, 11:19 AM
I don't really know too much about the sap pullers but the dealer near me has pumps very similar to that one and he said that sap gives the pump something to pump which provides vaccum. I don't personally have a sap puller but rather oil liquid ring and I am conviced that to make a bunch of syrup, every in more of vac really helps. We had one small section on a dairy pump and another on the liquid ring pump. The dairy pump came up way short on gal/tap than the liquid ring. So pay the extra to go to 27 or 28 inches of vaccum and you will be glad you did ( and by the way ~ pump are normally overrated).
Sam

wiam
06-26-2012, 09:00 PM
I don't really know too much about the sap pullers but the dealer near me has pumps very similar to that one and he said that sap gives the pump something to pump which provides vaccum. I don't personally have a sap puller but rather oil liquid ring and I am conviced that to make a bunch of syrup, every in more of vac really helps. We had one small section on a dairy pump and another on the liquid ring pump. The dairy pump came up way short on gal/tap than the liquid ring. So pay the extra to go to 27 or 28 inches of vaccum and you will be glad you did ( and by the way ~ pump are normally overrated).
Sam

I agree with all you say but this guy is talking about 100 taps so a liquid ring is a little pricey. I am impressed with my 3 hp Atlantic but I would not recommend it for 100 taps.

red maples
06-27-2012, 07:04 AM
a few variables...if you buy a little bb2 with motor it could cost $2-300 you could find a nice cheap bender releaser on ebay or something I think they are reasonable but not sure guessing $70 not sure. or a hobby releaser $500. PVC plus fittings, whole house water filter for moisture trap, antiback flow, valves, pressure gauge, not including all the tubing in the woods in the woods talking $800 to $1000 with made for maple releaser, bb2 with 1 hp motor and all the connections. and if you want to addon more taps eventually you can with a good releaser and a bb2 or bigger. which you can get 26" hg with a tight system but I don't recommend that high with a hobby relaser it will hang up on you...Experienced it myself. you can do it for cheaper farms tend to have bb2's tossed in the junk pile in a back stall so you might try to look around a littl first but its up to you. someone here might have something you could get for a good deal that works good.