PDA

View Full Version : Sycamore trees

vernon
06-19-2012, 04:43 AM
I think we have sycamore trees in our area.The leaves look similar to maple,can they be tapped for sap:cool:?

happy thoughts
06-19-2012, 06:19 AM
I've seen this asked before. A few months ago I researched it on the net because I also have some large American sycamores (platanus occidentalis). From what I found through google, trees called sycamores are sometimes tapped in the UK. On further look they are not the same tree we call sycamore in the US but a species of maple (acer pseudoplatanus) that is common in Europe.

Whether American Sycamore can be tapped or not, I can't tell you but if you find more info on the net first thing you need to do is determine what sycamores are actually being tapped. Make sure to distinguish between the common tree name and its Latin one.

heus
06-19-2012, 08:22 AM
I doubt you can tap them for syrup but after sugar and red maples, they happen to be my favorite tree. They grow well in wet conditions, grow fast, and will live well over 100 years. The bark is interesting to look at as well.

Cardigan99
07-25-2012, 08:16 PM
"Looks more... Like a Sycamore... To me".

Yogi Bear

Tithis
07-31-2012, 03:46 PM
I've heard its possible to do, but not really worth the time (160-200:1 ratio) Havnt heard anything good about the taste.

The way it seems is that there are many types of hardwood trees that can be tapped for their sap and concentrated into a syrup, it just seems maple has the sweetest sap and is the most reliable.