PDA

View Full Version : shipping boxes

maplefrank
06-18-2012, 09:15 PM
i'm looking for a box to hold 6 quarts to ship to the west coast,

sugaringman85
06-19-2012, 05:35 AM
use the flat rate boxes from the post office. you will get a better deal than any regular shipping by weight. i had a order all packed in a regular syrup shipping box and the guy at the post office just put my box into one of their boxes and it saved me 5 bucks in shipping. pretty sure that they have a box that will fit 6 quarts.

maple maniac65
06-19-2012, 06:56 AM
the flate rate boxes are not as heavy as a box intended for shipping syrup. After insurance and a receipt of delivery there is no really cost savings using a flat rate box. it is all how and what you want your product to arrive in and looking like. I have used flat rate boxes to Alaska and the results were on both sidees of the coin.

maplefrank
06-19-2012, 08:31 AM
use the flat rate boxes from the post office. you will get a better deal than any regular shipping by weight. i had a order all packed in a regular syrup shipping box and the guy at the post office just put my box into one of their boxes and it saved me 5 bucks in shipping. pretty sure that they have a box that will fit 6 quarts. we have used flat rate, they only hold 5 quarts, and twice 1 was damaged, the buyer is asking for another way to ship. and for insurance, we quit buying it, when we had a gallon damaged and the post office would'nt cover it.....we even talked to the post master, he said to file a report, and your still not sure they wouldpay???? so we just take our chances.......they used to ask if u want insurance, then 1 post office told me u cant get ins. on flat rate????we just need to find a place to buy heavy boxes.

red maples
06-19-2012, 09:32 AM
honestly it would probably be cheaper if you shipped 2 or 3 flat rate boxes I think they are $11 a piece, use as much bubble wrap as possible and put the jugs in freezer type zip lock bags and suck the air out with a straw. skip the ins.

if a bottle gets damaged the syrup will at least be contained for the most part in the zip lock bag. Also even though its not I always write "Glass" and "Fragile". I have shipped several times to the CA, and all over the country at least 10-15 states and put 2 qts per box or what ever the order is and knock wood have never had an issue!!! if you send 2 quarts and do not use the flat rate box it was something like $20 for priority. to get to texas.

on a side note the bacon jugs are MUCH better for shipping then sugar hill jugs the threads are bigger and the lids stays on better and I feel they are just a better constructed bottle, but thats just my opinion. I still a have a few 1/2 pints in sugarhill jugs and the finger hole is to small to hold onto so they get dropped all the time and the lids almost always pop!!! I will never use sugarhill again for that very reason.

Tmeeeh
06-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Check out the priority mail REGIONAL RATE boxes from USPS. They come in several sizes. For shipping shorter distances they are cheaper to ship than the regular flat rate boxes. I sent a 1/2 gallon to PA for around $5.00. You have to have a USPS online account and order them online. The empty boxes come in the mail. You can also schedule free pickup at your farm by the regular mail carrier. It's tough to beat the flat rate boxes for long distances. I sent several boxes to Hawaii.. way cheaper than any other way.

paul
06-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Try Uline.com and ship UPS or FedX they insure and they pay quickly compared to usps

maple flats
06-19-2012, 04:10 PM
I always use shipping cartons from my maple supply dealer. I ship smaller sizes USPS but I have a repeat customer in the mid west who orders 4 gal each time, that I ship FedEx. I insure all shipments but never had a customer report any damage. The shipping, carton and insurance are charged to the customer. The cartons I use come from Leader, never tried any others. I use either bubble wrap, packing peanuts or wadded brown paper to fill any void, all of which I get by saving them from shipments I receive (I only save clean packing materials). Never had to buy any yet (does this mean I buy too much merchandise shipped in?)
I have thought of looking at Uline but have not bought from them yet.