PDA

View Full Version : 7 bucks a gallon.

crawflyer
06-17-2012, 09:53 AM
5801 In a health food store in NE Ohio.

SeanD
06-17-2012, 10:30 AM
It's even Horse and Buggy Certified. You know the jokes people make about having a money tree growing in the back yard? How do I get that certification?

Sean

crawflyer
06-17-2012, 12:02 PM
I'm selling my evaporator and investing in a plastic funnel!

Farmboy
06-20-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm selling my evaporator and investing in a plastic funnel!

I hope thats a food grade funnel.

noreast maple
06-20-2012, 09:43 PM
talk about fraud, to bad the right people dont see this huh!!:o

red maples
06-21-2012, 06:44 AM
you know what it is? my guess its, RO permeate!!! I am sure its 100% pure sap with everything removed!!! I don't believe its fraud...its real, just processed funny thing is somebody found a way to bottle sell and market permeate!!! smart business...in my opinion permeate not just for cleaning the RO anymore!!!

noreast maple
06-21-2012, 07:44 AM
Brad, wouldnt permeate sour even though the sweet is taken out? i thought some of the bacteria was still in it, just wondering .

Newfvt
06-21-2012, 07:49 AM
This is not a new idea! Years ago - 15 at least, someone was selling steam-away condensate in glass coke-style bottles, 6 up in a nice package, at tourist traps in Vermont. This was probably back when steam aways were first becoming popular and someone decided to find a way to sell off the excess "water". I have no idea if they had to go through any regulatory hoops, but the product was out there at one time. It was sold right along side coke cans labelled "Pure Vermont AIR".

NH Maplemaker
06-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Don't know all the details, But have heard that large Hospitals buy permeate for cleaning instruments ! Also was told that Bascoms sell there's to hospital in Boston. But that is strictly hear say!
Also, I beleave the name of the place in Vermont that sold steamaway water was Maverick Sugar Bush in Sharon VT. Jim L.

Vermonner
06-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Don't know all the details, But have heard that large Hospitals buy permeate for cleaning instruments ! Also was told that Bascoms sell there's to hospital in Boston. But that is strictly hear say!
Also, I beleave the name of the place in Vermont that sold steamaway water was Maverick Sugar Bush in Sharon VT. Jim L.
I did that job in a hospital for 5 years, you're right, it's hearsay. So fill me in as a novice, is Amish syrup really low grade? Because if it isn't and it's really only $7 a gallon, I'm going to go buy it, repack it and resell it for more and take them out of the game. Forgive my ignorance if it's shining through, we don't really have Amish producers to speak of here in Vt (or at least none that I am aware of.).
Tom

Newfvt
06-21-2012, 12:10 PM
It could easily have been Maverick - they had some fancy packaging. The steam-water-in-a-bottle product was in Gillinghams in Woodstock - what maybe 15 miles from Sharon?

ennismaple
06-21-2012, 12:20 PM
I did that job in a hospital for 5 years, you're right, it's hearsay. So fill me in as a novice, is Amish syrup really low grade? Because if it isn't and it's really only $7 a gallon, I'm going to go buy it, repack it and resell it for more and take them out of the game. Forgive my ignorance if it's shining through, we don't really have Amish producers to speak of here in Vt (or at least none that I am aware of.).
Tom

It's water/sap for $7/gallon not syrup.

220 maple
06-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Some states allow bottling the Water, Virginia does not, I guess Ohio does!

wiam
06-23-2012, 07:04 AM
Some states allow bottling the Water, Virginia does not, I guess Ohio does!

Just because it happened does not mean it is legal.:rolleyes:

delivron
06-24-2012, 06:59 AM
Maple water is also sold in Vermont as Seltzer. http://www.vtsweetwater.com/ There is nothing illegal in most states to sell maple permeate as maple water. I have spoken to a few specialty water producers who have expressed interest in packaging permeate. The water leaving you RO is pure. If you can develop a market for 75% of your sap why wouldn't you.

A producer with 10,000 taps could produce approximately 50,000 gallons or more of maple water. Consider the income you could make from Maple Water.

Vermonner
06-24-2012, 08:06 PM
It's water/sap for $7/gallon not syrup.
thanks. 1 st saw thread at work: no pic loaded for me. Got it at home. Horse and buggy certified tripped me up.

red maples
06-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Brad, wouldnt permeate sour even though the sweet is taken out? i thought some of the bacteria was still in it, just wondering .

No RO combined with proper heating and packaging its as pure as bottle water. A good working RO will take out everything!!! mostly it will be 95% pure or better pending system quality. not that you would do it although I believe they use it in space if you put urine through an RO you would end up up with purifided water.

maple2
06-28-2012, 07:33 AM
from what i have read, drinking large amounts of r.o. water would actually make you sick. the r.o. takes out everything, including minerals that tap water has. commercial bottled water has minerals injected back into it

happy thoughts
06-28-2012, 04:46 PM
from what i have read, drinking large amounts of r.o. water would actually make you sick. the r.o. takes out everything, including minerals that tap water has. commercial bottled water has minerals injected back into it

I have to agree/disagree just a little. Drinking large amounts of water whether or not from an RO, can make you sick under certain conditions. It's called water intoxication and can happen if you're dehydrated from exercise or heavy sweating. In these cases drinking fluids that contain electrolytes like sodium, chloride, and potassium, may be better for you. Think Gatorade or other sports drinks. Drinking excess water may also be harmful if you have a serious medical condition that makes you retain water. Your doctor will probably have advised you if you need to limit free (plain) water.

That said, RO is what many desalination plants use to produce public drinking water from salt water. It uses the same process as maple sap RO both of which produce what pretty much amounts to distilled water. I'd think it should be perfectly fine to drink if consumed in normal quantities, and if bottled to insure sterility. I'd check individual state laws to see if they have any regs against selling it. I'd be surprised if they did as long as it's bottled in a safe and sanitary manner. They may have some regs about the bottling process.

Whoever is getting $7 bucks a gallon for it is probably a pretty good salesman. More power to them :)

220 maple
06-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Let's do some simple math here. For example I boil 10000 gallons of sap each Spring, if I had an RO I would only need to boil 2500 gallons, that would leave 7500 gallons of PURE waste water, I use 2500 gallons to back flush the RO membranes? I don't how much it takes I don't have a RO. I have 5000 gallons of PURE waste water left? 5000 times 128 ozs equals 640000 ozs of PURE waste water divided by 16.9 ozs (normal bottle size) equals 37869 bottles of PURE waste water. That could be sold for a dollar a bottle wholesale, reason! it's a niche product! Let me warn you not to go planning your big vacation off the riches of PURE waste water. The equipment to bottle this water costs around 100000 thousand dollars, Why? Because of all the Regulations imposed by the Goverment on Bottle Water Bottlers. Sorry

Mark 220 Maple

wiam
06-30-2012, 03:55 PM
I put most of my permeate back through the machine to flush it. I think most others do also. Are we sure this is permeate or could it be condensate from preheater or steamaway?

220 maple
06-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Wiam,
I suspect it is condensate from some source, my Amish equipment dealer Henry told me that someone in Ohio was bottling Condensate. I had heard of others sending all of the permeate back thru the RO.

Mark 220 Maple

Thad Blaisdell
06-30-2012, 09:21 PM
I put thousands and thousands of gallons of permeate down the drain. On any given day with 10,000 gal of sap I most likely send more than 4000 gal down the drain.

West Mountain Maple
07-01-2012, 06:53 AM
they are calling it distillate on website - http://www.gffarms.com/index.php/products/maple.html

220 maple
07-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Thad,
Just wait til some enviro-whacko reports you for dumping water into the enviroment. This happened to a friend, EPA had to investigate a report of water being dumped into a stream. They took a sample and when they came back with egg on their face, they admitted it was the purest water they had ever tested. The goverment should give anyone tax breaks or something like carbon credits for helping the enviroment, Just Saying!!!!!!

Mark 220 Maple