PDA

View Full Version : Red maple niter

Mark
06-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Do red maples produce a greater amount of niter or different mineral make up? Maybe Dr Perkins can answer this question.

sapman
06-16-2012, 08:29 PM
I've never seen any noticeable difference, and my syrup is 60% soft maple the last few years.

red maples
06-18-2012, 07:20 AM
I tap mostly reds but when I have a heavy niter season everyone else seems to have alot too. I could be wrong but I think it seems like there is a bit more niter because the sugar% from reds is a little less than sugars therefore it needs to cook a little longer and more niter may form during that extra cooking time.

This past year although there were alot of shorter boils because of lack of sap, niter wasn't bad. I think it was 3 years ago the niter was REALLY heavy. so it varies

Mark
06-18-2012, 09:10 PM
I have a problem with niter in the very first channel in the flue pan were the sap enters. Concentrating to 14 brix and the problem started when adding red maples. Other people started having the same problem but tap no red maples.

I just can not figure out why that never happened for 9 years but the last 3 the flue pan niters up bad near the float box.