PDA

View Full Version : USDA NASS 2012 Crop Report

DrTimPerkins
06-13-2012, 07:22 PM
http://usda.mannlib.cornell.edu/MannUsda/viewDocumentInfo.do?documentID=1046

The 2012 Maple Report starts on page 12 (of the PDF version).

Dave Y
06-13-2012, 09:19 PM
I would really like to know where they get there numbers. Some of the numbers for Pa. are bizarre to say the least. I have been producing for nine years and am a registered producer and have been. I have never been contacted for my numbers. from the looks of some of them I think they make them up!

maple flats
06-14-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm not sure how they got my name, but I've been sent a survey every year since 2004, my second year making maple.
This information helps each state get certain funds to help the industry. Every producer should make sure they are included in the stats AND be honest, don't shave the numbers down or pad them either. Accuracy is the best aid in making these statistics of any value, not for bragging rights but for justifying grants, promotion, etc.
I would suggest anyone not getting a survey form contact the NASS (National Agricultural Statistics Service).
Anyone concerned about tax repercussions or other complications need not worry, by law the info you submit can not ever be used by any department of any government. I comment on this even though I know every one is totally accurate in reporting all income but some are concerned any ways.

gmcooper
06-14-2012, 11:01 PM
Well stated Maple Flats!

maple flats
06-17-2012, 07:25 AM
I highly encourage all producers to participate in the Ag Statistics maple survey every year. To get included email nass@nass.gov Give them your name, address and contact info. You will then get the survey next year in the mail during maple season. Complete the form and return it before April 30 or they will call for your report on the phone. The easiest way to do the report is to go online and file it there. To do that you will need the ID # from your address label.
You are too late to be included this year but everyone should make it a point, do it now, to be included in all upcoming years.
This can only help the maple industry as a whole, every state benefits with more accurate reports. From now on nobody should be able to say they were not included, or "they must make up the data". THE DATA IS ONLY AS ACCURATE AS THE INFORMATION INPUT, if producers don't report or use inaccurate data the report and resultant actions by the governments at all levels, plus distributors, agencies, etc etc etc are flawed because of inaccurate data input. This can only work properly if we all contribute.
For more info go to www.agcounts.nass.gov

Vermonner
06-20-2012, 11:12 AM
I didn't control a study or develop a randomized sample, but the season dates and duration in this report for Vermont shred it's credibility for me.

maple flats
06-20-2012, 02:22 PM
I wonder if the regional extremes in Vermont skewed the results. Southern Vermont is vastly different than northern Vermont.

DrTimPerkins
06-20-2012, 03:02 PM
I wonder if the regional extremes in Vermont skewed the results. Southern Vermont is vastly different than northern Vermont.

I think you probably hit the nail on the head. A fair number of folks in southern Vermont tapped very early (since the folks in MA and CT were making syrup early). Several people in the far northern part of Vermont kept going after the heat wave, although probably many of those made buddy syrup.

Vermonner
06-20-2012, 10:03 PM

Fair enough. We didn't even tap in Orleans until Feb. 21, and it resumed cold at the end of our tapping. Then the floodgates opened. Whereas I'm willing to bet Southern Vt was probably under way by the time we were just getting into the woods. I do wonder how the folks up Canaan way (or wherever they boiled late) fared in terms of late season quality (5/2/12). Dr. Tim, do you know where we could find statistics for Canada's production?

Tom

DonMcJr
06-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Would it be of any benefit for me, with only about 30 taps to sign up?

maple flats
06-21-2012, 04:42 AM
Yes, but the benefit is not really for you, the biggest benefit is for the industry as a whole. The more accurate the stats the better any industry decision, or action will be. You might only have 30 taps but there are hundreds the same or similar sized in every region. If we could have just 1/3 of them started reporting their stats the totals would look different, but more importantly the stats would better reflect the actual size of the industry for your state and in turn the whole industry. Then consider the impact if all reported. Who knows, Michigan might move way up in the standings and new industry trends might favor Michigan.
Any statistical report is only as good as the input to generate that report.

Maple Hill
06-21-2012, 05:33 AM
There is a small producer I know of ( a few hundred taps ) that will not sign up to any group or report any crop numbers for fear of inspection or registration down the line. I bet that there are a lot of producers like that in every state.

maple flats
06-21-2012, 08:33 AM
Likely many like that, but by law there is no way your individual report can be traced back to you by anyone.