PDA

View Full Version : cleaning Tubing

rookie
06-13-2012, 02:53 PM
I have yet to clean my tubing from the end of the season and am unsure how to approach it. How does every one else do it?

06-13-2012, 03:12 PM
There are a lot of old threads regarding that subject just do a search

maple flats
06-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Waiting this long makes it a more difficult job. The sap left in the tubing has fermented, molded, all sort of things growing in it and these do get into the micro pores of the tubing. This being said, it is still better to clean it now than later or not at all. (however some never clean tubing). As 500592 said, search old threads, there are a multitude of methods, including mine in the past. Read them and decide which is best for you and your equipment.
This year I actually tried a new method but won't know how I like it until next year. I pulled the taps with the vac on and pulled the CV's off and left the drops hanging loose. Later I walked the lines, starting closest to the pump and capped each line as it dried completely, no washing. It took a little time for all to dry but so far I liked it, very simple. I spent about 1-1.5 hrs each day , start the vacuum and walk the lines. I only did 1 main at a time. As almost all of that main was dry I opened the valve on the next. Each day as I quit because I was getting to an area with too many not dry yet I left the vacuum pump running for a few hours to dry the wet ones remaining. This did require about 3-4 trips walking each main and each lateral it was rather enjoyable and unhurried. If this method proves to look good come first sap flow next year I will keep doing this method.

DrTimPerkins
06-13-2012, 07:21 PM
How does every one else do it?

There are lots of approaches. A more important question is, which is most effective (if any are effective)? Unfortunately, the answer is not yet clear.

rookie
06-27-2012, 11:30 AM
well i do not have vaccume, so what i have done was get a hose cap drill a hole in it and put a 1/4 inch barb on it. I am gonna run water through my tubing with a hose and take each tap off the cap one at a time. and then run commpressed air through it to dry it out. better than nothing right?

rookie
06-28-2012, 05:34 PM
alright i just cleaned my tubing with the help of my 7 year old. worked like a charm, got all that crude outa there now the lines look clear! and a bonus the hose barb fitting I put through my water hose cap, threaded right to the end of my air hose to get all that water out. :D

maple flats
06-29-2012, 05:02 AM
congrats, any cleaning method is likely better than no cleaning. As the good Dr. stated, "the answer is not clear". One thing cleaning does do is present a better image about maple syrup.

spud
06-29-2012, 05:24 AM
I think cleaning tubing is a waste of time. Yea you can get the crud out but it would come out next season on the first run. Most people I talk to have never cleaned their tubing and they make great quality syrup. A little bacteria enhances the maple flavor and there is no way ANYONE is removing all the bacteria from their tubing. Clean tubing does not mean bacteria free tubing. The reason why the CVs and the CV2s were invented was to keep bacteria out of the tap hole. If maple research could find a way to clean tubing and remove ALL bacteria then the CVs and CV2s and all seasonal spouts would not be needed.

Spud

rookie
06-29-2012, 12:21 PM
well getting all that black scum and chunks of soured sap out of my tubing may do nothing. But it sure makes me feel better about putting it up next year.

spud
07-02-2012, 06:16 AM
well getting all that black scum and chunks of soured sap out of my tubing may do nothing. But it sure makes me feel better about putting it up next year.

I average 30 taps per roll of tubing. Instead of spending time and money cleaning your tubing for 31 taps I would just buy new tubing every year.

1 1/4 rolls of tubing includes drops = $56.25
31- Ts = $7.75
31- Smart spouts .17 each = $5.27

It would only cost you $69.27 each year. Just your cleaning solution and your time would be more then that. I would rather be playing 18 holes then cleaning tubing.

Spud

noreast maple
07-02-2012, 07:08 AM
I would rather be cleaning tubing ,more time enjoying any thing to do with maple:mrgreen:, and like rookie said , ifeel better myself knowing my equipment is the cleanest i can get it.

rookie
07-02-2012, 09:15 AM
I average 30 taps per roll of tubing. Instead of spending time and money cleaning your tubing for 31 taps I would just buy new tubing every year.

1 1/4 rolls of tubing includes drops = $56.25
31- Ts = $7.75
31- Smart spouts .17 each = $5.27

It would only cost you $69.27 each year. Just your cleaning solution and your time would be more then that. I would rather be playing 18 holes then cleaning tubing.

Spud It took me about half an hour to clean all my tubing, while spending some quality time with my son. I don't know about you but I don't make $140.00 per hour. it was as easy as turning on the garden hose taking each tap of the tee and putting it back on then doing the same with the air hose. all in the comfort of my back yard. got a little wet on a hot day, had some fun with my son spraying him with water from the tee's. That is better than any 18 holes i've ever played!

spud
07-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Very well said Rookie. If you can turn this into a fun thing for you and your son then I am with you 100% Sounds like your a great dad.

Spud