PDA

View Full Version : USDA permanent grade set

twitch
06-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Does any one know how to go about getting a usda permanent grade set that is not a lovibond ??? If you do can you help me out getting the info from the usda is harder then it seems i don't want to drive to washington d.c thanks

markcasper
06-08-2012, 11:03 AM
to my knowledge the usda does not handle them, or have them manufactured any longer.

maple flats
06-08-2012, 11:28 AM
In any case, now is not the time to buy one unless you are looking for a historical artifact. With the new grading system tentatively due to be adopted for the 2013 or 14 season i will be a waste of hard earned money. The grade break points as well as the designated names will change. In looking at the specifics of the proposal being sought, the only step that will have the same break point is Light Amber or "fancy" will now be "golden" and the break point remains the same. From there, med covers a wider area, then dark, then very dark take you all the way to commercial. There will be no B grade.
But if you are still looking for a permanate grade set, I have one I'll sell for $100.
Dave

red maples
06-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Yeah I have to agree. Might as well just go with a temparary kit for 2013 if the grading system doesn't change is delayed until 2014. cost 16.50 plus shipping from bascom's

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
06-08-2012, 08:24 PM
is the grading system on hold ?

maple flats
06-09-2012, 07:02 AM
At this point all regulatory interests are supposed to be working on adopting the new. The NYS Maple Producer's Association reported in our last newsletter that New York State was ready to pass it, and was likely to be the first (unbelievable for NYS to be first for anything except higher taxes). I read recently that Vermont was having a big debate because they did not want to give up the "Fancy" grade. I have not heard news for others.
Each state that produces maple as well as each Canadian Province, along with The USDA and Canada must sign on. Most governmental regulatory changes are notoriously slow to coordinate.
New grade systems have taken place since grading began. The difference here is that the push is for a universal grade system, so consumers as well as producers and everyone in between has the same grade system in place. At present there are several different grade systems through the maple world.
I heard at one time that 2013 was the target date, but that seems to have been moved to 2014, hopefully we are not still moving it ahead several more years as the various parties drag their feet.

Thad Blaisdell
06-09-2012, 08:15 AM
The only problem I have with the new system is the queer names that they came up with.... who the hell named it "Golden Color Delicate Taste" anyway. That is like naming my new puppy "Brown with Spot" It seems they could come up with something better than they did.

red maples
06-09-2012, 09:00 AM
Yeah I agree...the names are just too long...like everything you have the "USDA GRADE A ......" even beef is easy prime, choice, select or AAA, AA , A I think the names are easy to under stand now. you don't call beef " USDA Grade a Prime, most fat, flavor and tender" do you? anyway the description and the grade shouldn't be the same. Its hard enough to explain to customers amber, medium, dark and B. and thats just one word!!!!

As far as NH I am not sure where things are last I heard our board of directors was on board with the new changes and they work hand in hand with NH dept of AG. but I think its more of a wait and see to find out how this Vermont fancy thing works out.

maple flats
06-09-2012, 02:45 PM
A committee of the International Maple Syrup Council named them. This committee consisted of members from every maple producing state and province. For the one you mention, from what I see, the grade name is "Golden" (color designation) the rest is the flavor descriptor. The charts I have seen show 4 grades, Golden, Amber, Dark and Very Dark. The rest is a description to aid the consumer who has no idea which they want. In the past you've had to describe each when a new customer asks what the difference is, the new will be no different in that respect. What will be different is that no matter where a consumer goes to buy pure maple syrup the names and descriptions will be the same. Now it is too confusing, with several grade standards in place throughout the maple world. Maple is no longer just a local product, people from all over the globe are discovering maple and having a common grading standard will help lesson the confusion which in turn will help open even more markets.
We benefit from having a product that no matter how much you make you can sell it all with relatively small price fluxuations due to supply. Yes, they climb and drop, but compare our changes with other farm products, like milk, beef, pork, fruits, vegetables etc. that have huge price swings and with somewhat fixed expenses it becomes extremely harder to make any profit. Just look at the prices farmers have gotten the last 30-40 years for milk. When they get a little upward price trend, too many more farms add to the herd and soon the prices force others out of business.
Yes, I know, most maple producers basically only make syrup because they love it, but the fact is we have a decent price structure and this is only because the doubling of production in the last 10 yrs has been met with new markets, markets that will benefit best from a single grade standard.

wiam
06-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Well said Dave!

Amber Gold
06-10-2012, 06:47 AM
I agree.

The above was too short, so I have to add additional language to meet the ten character posting minimum. I think I've met it.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
06-10-2012, 10:21 AM
At this point all regulatory interests are supposed to be working on adopting the new. The NYS Maple Producer's Association reported in our last newsletter that New York State was ready to pass it, and was likely to be the first (unbelievable for NYS to be first for anything except higher taxes). I read recently that Vermont was having a big debate because they did not want to give up the "Fancy" grade. I have not heard news for others.
Each state that produces maple as well as each Canadian Province, along with The USDA and Canada must sign on. Most governmental regulatory changes are notoriously slow to coordinate.
New grade systems have taken place since grading began. The difference here is that the push is for a universal grade system, so consumers as well as producers and everyone in between has the same grade system in place. At present there are several different grade systems through the maple world.
I heard at one time that 2013 was the target date, but that seems to have been moved to 2014, hopefully we are not still moving it ahead several more years as the various parties drag their feet.

i was just looking for a YES or NO

red maples
06-10-2012, 04:33 PM
yes I agree... I think there is a little confusion which I was confused as well. when this whole thing first came out a few years ago the way the labels would read for example..."Grade A Dark Maple Syrup robust" etc etc etc but noone wanted that because it would never fit on a little round cap label which everyone wanted to keep. so they changed it to read very simple and just stick with Grade A Dark etc. thats where the confusion was! I didn't know they changed that part until now thanks dave!!!

twitch
06-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I new that they were going to change the grading names didn't relize that it would not be based on the same color system. In that case does anyone have a temporary grade set from this past year that they would get rid of so I can just buy a new one for next season.