PDA

View Full Version : vacuum pump to heat swimming pool

PATheron
06-05-2012, 04:50 AM
Question for you techy types out there. Ive got a 27' swimming pool. I have 3hp atlanic fluid liquid ring pump Im going to use while Im working on lines and trying things in the off season. Im thinking of setting it up so its pulling water out of the pool and expelling it back into it at least while Im working. Its a very cheap pump to run. Were always fighting to keep the coolant water from heating up. Why wouldnt it heat my swimming pool? Think it will work. I think Im going to try it, Im not out anything if I need to run it anyway. Theron

Thad Blaisdell
06-05-2012, 05:29 AM
I have a friend that took a 4x8 sheet of plywood, and 2x4's around edge and curled 1/2" black pipe round and round and round, then faced it toward sun and used pool pump to push it through, he swims in his pool till mid oct. I remember seeing the water coming out at 110 that was in sept.

rchase
06-05-2012, 11:43 AM
just be careful because of the chemicals in pool water.

Amber Gold
06-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Talk to Chipa. He does this.

PATheron
06-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Amber- He does the plack pipe like Thad said or the vac pump?, I didnt think about it but I guess the chems could hurt the pump seal maybe. Theron

lew
06-06-2012, 04:47 AM
Theron, I am currently hooking up my boiler to a heat exchanger to heat a hot tub. Theyeven use specific Stainless steel in the heat exchanger so that it won't harm the heat exchanger and everything I have read said to keep the cast iron away from the pool chemicals.

Amber Gold
06-06-2012, 04:04 PM
He does the pool trick. He runs either an Atlantic Fluidics A5 or A10. How much chem's are in the pool when it's put to bed? I'd assume most have been have burnt off by maple season.

lew
06-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Wow, I must have been really out of it when I wrote my last post. It even confused me. What I was trying to say is that the boiler and recirculation pump manufacturers do not want pool water in contact with anything cast steel. Only stainless steel and specific types of stainless steel at that, sorry I don't know what type at the moment. If your pump is bronze, I don't what effect it will have. I don't even know what effect it will have on cast steel, I just know the manufactureers don't want it in contact with pool chemicals.

farmall h
06-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Guys, the only thing you should have in your pool water is chlorine and algea prevention. If a boiler circulater (which is cast steel body w/plastic impeller) can handle caustic boiler chemicals the vac pump should be ok with chlorine. My 2 cents.

rchase
06-07-2012, 11:59 AM
they make pool exchangers out of stainless and also cooper nickle. pool water will eat the cast iron in your vaccum pump.

Alberto8100
08-03-2012, 02:39 AM
Theron, I am currently hooking up my boiler to a heat exchanger to heat a hot tub. Theyeven use specific Stainless steel in the heat exchanger so that it won't harm the heat exchanger and everything I have read said to keep the cast iron away from the pool chemicals.
I'm totally agree with you man.You'r 100% good here that stainless steel in the heat exchanger won't harm the heat exchanger.Certain two facts on there are unequivocally the best we have all had.Keep the cast iron away from the pool chemicals.

delivron
08-03-2012, 05:44 AM
Do your research on Chlorine and various metals in your equipment. I believe you might want a different souce of water when you are done.

OneLegJohn
08-05-2012, 12:05 AM
I love this thread.

OneLegJohn
08-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Plate heat exchanger. If you can afford a pool, you can buy a heat echanger. Create a loop and circulate the pool water through an exchanger.

Benjamin Kinslow
12-18-2013, 01:11 AM
Hey onelegjhon can you please explain it to me. I am planing to buy a pool heater (http://www.thepoolfactory.com/pool-supplies/pool-equipment/pool-heaters) but if this plate heat exchanger is cheap then I will buy that because I have a Hayward Pump and a above ground pool. Please tell me how it works?