PDA

View Full Version : garlic mustard plant?

PATheron
05-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Guy where I work was telling me about this plant and says its kind of invasive and puts something in the soil bad for sugarmaple trees and that I should watch out for it in my woods and try to get rid of it. Anyone have any knowledge about this? Thanks Theron

happy thoughts
05-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Hi Theeron - you're sure to have plenty of it everywhere anywhere in NE PA and just about everywhere else. I pull this out yearly by the tons. It's a widespread invasive that's on the tail end of blooming now so should still be easy enough to ID by it's flower if you look for it now. The leaves when crushed will have a strong garlic smell. It is supposedly edible. I've heard of contests where teams go out and try to collect the greatest poundage to win then cook it up. Though I've never eaten it, that sounds like an appealing revenge to me:lol:

I've never heard of it's effect on maple growth but don't doubt that possibility. Many invasives have similar adaptations which is what makes them invasive in the first place.

Seeds are said to be viable for at least 5 years or so I've read. If you're going to try to eradicate it by hand pulling, make sure you burn the pulled plants or send them bagged to the landfill. Do not compost them as seeds may develop/mature even after the plants have been pulled. Also try to get the entire root as it is a perennial that will grow from even a small piece left in the ground... or on top of the ground. Even the smallest plants will flower. It's best if you can eradicate them before seeds develop but it may be too late for that this year. I'd still suggest pulling out any plants you see the rest of this year. Fortunately it is usually easy to uproot, but unfortunately hard to find and get all the seedlings in any location on first look. Just keep at it for now and the next couple of years.

Here's a web site with more info and a good picture for ID.....

http://dnr.wi.gov/invasives/fact/garlic.htm

Hope something in here helps

PS another invasive plant which you may also find overrunning your area is Japanese stilt grass. That has plant inhibition properties as well by altering the pH of the soil so that native plant species will not grow. Stilt grass is most often found on disturbed ground and like garlic mustard is another bugger to eradicate by hand. But it never hurts to try:)

Best of luck!

PATheron
05-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Appreciate the info happy. Think its of any real consequence to the larger established trees Im tapping or do you think it would more than likely drown out some of the small seedlings or trees at that stage? I dont think theres much in my woods but if there was you probly couldnt do much with it on that kind of a scale Im thinking. Theron

GeneralStark
05-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Appreciate the info happy. Think its of any real consequence to the larger established trees Im tapping or do you think it would more than likely drown out some of the small seedlings or trees at that stage? I dont think theres much in my woods but if there was you probly couldnt do much with it on that kind of a scale Im thinking. Theron

Typically it grows in disturbed areas and I suspect is not a huge issue in established sugarbushes as it doesn't seem to be real shade tolerant. It can have negative impacts on regeneration as it can easily outcompete seedlings. Best thing would be to learn to identify it, hand pull if it gets real thick in regen areas, and address it if it becomes an issue in the understory of the sugarbush, but that is not likely.

It is edible, and that is why it is here as european settlers brought it to plant in their herb gardens. If you get it when its young it makes a great pesto.

PATheron
05-31-2012, 04:49 AM
Appreciate the info guys. Thats kind of what I thought becouse you find it more in the open than in the shade in the woods seemed to me. Ill just keep and eye out and be mindfull of it. Theron

happy thoughts
05-31-2012, 06:48 AM
Theeeeeron- I would think it more a problem for maple seedling and herbaceous plant growth than trees, but I would still try to eradicate it wherever possible if only to encourage native plant growth. That stuff gives invasive new meaning:-| I have seen it grow in light or partial shade so you may find it on the edges of your woodlot.