PDA

View Full Version : Question about a 2x6 dropflue

RUSTYBUCKET
05-24-2012, 04:42 PM
This past season was the shake down cruise on my new 2x6 dropflue....woodfired, natural draft. On this rig, I noticed that there was a difference in fluid level between the front and back pans, i.e. 2" in the front vs. 1" (above flues) in the back pan. While I wait for a reply from the manufacturer as to why there is a difference, I'd like to hear the thoughts from the members here as to why there would be a difference. My previous dropflue rig, not a 2x6, had the same level front to back.
Just curious.

Thanks.

- Russ

maple flats
05-25-2012, 05:58 AM
On a drop flue I've never heard of a varying depth unless the rig is off level except a slight difference because of density but not an inch of difference.

jmayerl
05-25-2012, 09:16 AM
1. You have a valve restricting the flow to the front pan, or
2. Your evaporator is not level, or
3. You have different thickness gaskets under the pans, or
4. Your evaporator defies the laws of gravity.

RUSTYBUCKET
05-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the replies.
(1) The only connection between the front and back pan is a open "U" pipe.
(2) The arch and pans are level front to back and side to side.
(3) There are no gaskets between the arch and pans.
(4) .....

With the pans dry, I took the following measurements. Back pan.....top of flues to top of pan 11".
Front pan, bottom of pan to top of pan 12".
Holding to the thought that the levels should be the same, I wondered if the pans were built wrong.
Still no response from the manufacturer yet.

Thanks

- Russ

RileySugarbush
05-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Fill them with water and leave it cold. If there is a connection between the pans that is entirely below the level of the water and the tube is open, then the water level in both pans is the same. If it is not, sell it to the Mystery Spot. http://www.mysteryspotstignace.com/

If it is the same depth when cold but not when running, then ii is likely too small a connection between the pans. That would explain it if the level in the rear pan was higher than the level in the front. Since you state it is the other way around, pack up for St. Ignace.

noreast maple
05-25-2012, 07:52 PM
is your outlet pipe up about a 1/2 inch? if it is then you should be alright , afriend of mine has the same set up on a 5x16 and his runs just like that, it is a dominion and grim and thats how they are set up to run.

noreast maple
05-25-2012, 07:54 PM
by outlet pipe imean on your back pan ,the frount one is even with the bottom.

RUSTYBUCKET
05-29-2012, 12:48 PM
According to the manufacturer, D & G, the rig is designed with this offset to facilitate heat transfer to the pan. The flues are raised 1" above the arch rail, thus the difference in levels front to back.

Thanks for all the replies.

- Russ