PDA

View Full Version : When did Vermont start charging sales tax on tubing?

Bruce L
05-22-2012, 11:11 AM
This past weekend we went out for our first camping outing of the year,camped at High Falls park in New York.I dropped the trailer off,then hustled to pick up the mainline I ordered from F.W Webb when they had their sale on earlier in the year.With the Champlain bridge under construction,major accident on Route 7,I barely made it into St.Albans,five minutes before closing.I walked into the store,told the clerk I was there to pick up mainline I had ordered for dry line and mainline to pump sap back from the other bush.Asked if I had an account,told him no,looked up my name for the order,asked if I had prepaid,I said yes it was paid by Visa,already on my statement and paid for.Then told me that was just a deposit,still needed to pay the tax on the tubing!!!!! I am sure I got scammed,and will probably never go back because of this.
On a brighter note,I made it to Maplecrest,picked up the pump and receiver,made it back to the campground at 12:30 in the morning.Question at the border,what's that thing in the back of the truck? I told him it is a used vacuum pump,he said okay looked like a moonshine still,drive on

PerryW
05-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Just shop in New Hampshire. There's no sales tax on anything.

tuckermtn
05-22-2012, 11:47 AM
i think maple tubing is considered an agricultural product and exempt for sales tax. that was I remember from the last time I bought tubing from Goodrichs

Randy Brutkoski
05-22-2012, 12:10 PM
All maple suppliers in vermont are tax exempt , except Webbs. But if you have a tax exempt form you will not get taxed. I always questioned it too. I dont think they realize that maple supplys are exempt. They are still learning this maple thing.

jmayerl
05-22-2012, 12:11 PM
No tax on maple supplies in wisco

GeneralStark
05-22-2012, 01:14 PM
For whatever reason, you need to have an account at Webbs to not get charged sales tax.

Dill
05-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Seems like VT is cracking down on farm sales tax exemption. I've had issues at auctions this year when previously all I've had to say was "Its going back to NH".

PARKER MAPLE
05-22-2012, 06:38 PM
The Fw webbs in Rutland has a special account set up for sugarmakers to charge on. I didnt get charged sales tax for what I bought. Just told them it was for sugaring they new the account number to put it on and out the door I went. They had a few otherthings in there I needed that I did expect they would have. Good experience here
MR

PerryW
05-22-2012, 09:50 PM
All maple suppliers in vermont are tax exempt , except Webbs. But if you have a tax exempt form you will not get taxed. I always questioned it too. I dont think they realize that maple supplys are exempt. They are still learning this maple thing.

I'm just speculating here, but FW Webb is not primarily a Maple Sugaring Supplier.

Potters3
05-23-2012, 06:00 AM
Maple supply are tax exempt, BUT you have to have a tax exempt form filled out at every place of business. If the state audits them they have to show a form. Most will fill it out for you. I keep copies in my truck for new places. Luckily my wife is a accountant and know the hoops to jump thru.

Bruce L
05-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Luckily you all don't have Dalton McGuinty(our premier),we have 13% HST on absolutely everything from a haircut to a bowl of soup,farmers are not exempt,we have to pay the tax on everything to keep the accountants busy to file for reimbursement.

delivron
05-31-2012, 11:52 AM
With the exception of New Hampshire the "tax free state" you should have an exemption certificate as a farm. If you sell equipment you need a resellers certificate and should keep a record of each producers certificate. If you are a producer and equipment reseller you should have both a resellers certificate and a farm exemption certificate. Every state has it's own procedure. Failure to do so will result in some major fines from most states. Yes, I know this is a pain. FW Webb recognizes your farm exemption certificate. If you don't have one then that is another matter.

spud
05-31-2012, 08:42 PM
I just bought 4 rolls of 1 1/4 inch pipe today from Webbs and I saved $107.00 in tax being exempt. I had to fill out a form to get the deal.

Spud

stoweski
01-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Went to Webbs in Bennington today with paperwork in hand... st-125 for NY (where I live) and form s3-a for vermont tax exempt. They accepted the NYS tax exempt form (along with a copy of my certificate) but would not take the s3-a form. The guy I was dealing with told me I had to signup for Vt tax exempt status online. Anyone ever heard of this... or have a website I can go to so I can register properly? I thought if I'm buying stuff in Vermont it doesn't matter what state I live in, I just need to show up with the tax exempt form and they'll keep it on file. He did tell me that they are changing things and making it more complicated.

sjdoyon
01-21-2013, 06:55 PM
the several companies I have purchased from this past November in Vermont required me to fill out the forms at the store. This is the beginning of the year so they could have changed the tax exempt process.