PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on a lapierre storm 2' by 8'

Middleton Maples
05-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Thinking about upgrading and want an evaporator thats 2' by 8'. my neighbor has one by lapierre. I feel they make very nice evaporators. Any thoughts?

blac
05-20-2012, 07:20 PM
I just went through all the researching diffrent manufacturers and went and looked at lapierre,leader and cdl. They all have different thing that make each one appealing. My decision was a cdl traditional 2×8 I thought the fit and finish was much better than the storm and the price diffrence to the leader was not feasable ( for me). Good luck in your search for an evaporator.

red maples
05-21-2012, 10:26 AM
I have heard that with the 2x8 unless you have forced air the fire box is too small to get the back of the flue pan to a rolling boil and you also need to have the fire all the way in the front of the firebox right again the doors in order to get the front flat pan to boil properly if you don't then you end up with too much finished syrup in the middle pan if you get the pans that way.

Also you have to fire more to keep up as I said the before because of the smaller firebox. As reccomended to me go with at least a 2-1/2 x 8 then you have a bigger firebox to keep the heat up and you get a better boil. hope that helps.

Middleton Maples
05-21-2012, 05:18 PM
The reason y i picked a 2 foot wide evaporator is because any wider and it would be too big to fit in my sap house. Thanks for the input.

jmayerl
05-21-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm not sure about the fire box being to small. I think it depends on the evaporator. Also. I was just at Smokey lake the other day and he was building a flue pan that was 2x8, and that's just the flue pan. If people are having stack temps near 1000F there is no reason that you can't have a longer pan and use some of that heat. With that said Jim is making me a 2x7 right now. I would have a 2x8 but I already had the 4 foot flue pan.

Go long and add some air to it.

Specklefield Farm
05-22-2012, 12:16 PM
I have an old "mall Brothers" 2x8 (the "S" was deleated in the casting :lol: ) and my firebox will take 3 foot wood. Never any problem getting the back pan to boil on this rig, only the front. With good draft and forced air, it will eat some wood and put out major BTU's. I'm looking to upgrade my pans in the near future, and the lapierre pan set would be my first choice based on price and quality.