PDA

View Full Version : cleaning spouts???

maplefrank
05-09-2012, 09:05 PM
how do others clean their spouts???? i use a brush on the cordless,,,,,

ennismaple
05-11-2012, 10:08 AM
We don't - a new one comes out of a plastic bag every year! I'm sure this makes my grandfather roll over in his grave...

Randy Brutkoski
05-11-2012, 11:38 AM
I know guys that have been using the same spouts for years and they wonder why they dont get that much sap. I try to tell them but i always hear the same thing from them , which is, THATS TO MUCH MONEY EVERY YEAR, I CANT MAKE ANY MONEY IF I DO THAT EVERY YEAR. A new spout every year pays for itself very fast.

mapleack
05-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Franks talking about bucket taps though guys. I always just soaked mine in a mild bleach solution, then rinsed and dried. Best case for metal taps would be an autoclave.

Gary R
05-11-2012, 12:55 PM
One of our members here was telling me about a plastic bucket spout he has gone to. I don't recall who makes it but it was about 15 cents. He is using thousands of them, replacing every year. No cost for cleaning.

SeanD
05-11-2012, 08:44 PM
I clean my 5/16" metal spouts right after I pull them by soaking them overnight in very mild soapy water to loosen or soften any crud in there. Then I ream them a few times with a spout brush, rinse really well, then boil them for a couple of minutes. I strain them and they dry quickly inside and out because they are still hot. Then I put them into a ziplock bag until next season. The next year, I give them another quick boil before I tap.

Sean

maplefrank
05-12-2012, 07:46 AM
i use a Basic H solution. I couldn't imagine buying new spouts every year.some around here buy the wine bags every year, that runs into alot of $$$$$ before you make any.

maple2
05-16-2012, 08:38 AM
we replaced all of our black spouts to clear throwaways, this year. after washing, with vaccume, half the spouts still had some form of crap in them. i can only imagine what the inside of a 5 year old spout looks like!

Dave Y
05-18-2012, 02:05 PM
gentlemen consider this you buy a 5/6 leader hook less spout.you pay 2.65 a piece for them. after each season you gather them and wash and soak them in your cleaning solution and store the until next year. or you could take all of your buckets right now and ream the holes out so the will accept a 5/16 clear polycarbonate straight spout from lapierre that cost .17 each. At the end of the season you pull those spouts and toss them. next year you buy new taps. do this for 15 years.and you will have spent the money you would have spent on a metal spout that you may or may not still have. Each year you put a used spout in a clean hole you are shortening the life of the tap hole. when you put a new spout in the tap hole each year you will find that the hole will run longer and be much cleaner at the end of the season.Try it and find out for your self like i did.

Randy Brutkoski
05-18-2012, 07:19 PM
what dave said....

hitnspit
10-22-2012, 06:12 AM
we give our a good boiling. never had a problem with flow......

spud
10-22-2012, 10:25 PM
What Dave said...

Spud