PDA

View Full Version : stick me with a fork we are done!

appleman
03-31-2006, 07:06 PM
I hope you mainers all had a good Maine maple sunday. We had a super day,
largest crowd ever and they bought anything and everything they could find.The season turned out pretty good for us over all, made a little over
400 gallons of syrup. 50% light, 40% med.,10% dark.We had a season ratio of about 35to1.Finished pulling taps today, boiled the last of the sap,
cleaned the equipment in the sugar house. All we have left is one large pile of buckets and covers to wash so if anyone is bored come on over.
hope to hear from the rest of you about your season. 8) 8) 8)

WF MASON
04-01-2006, 02:42 AM
Frank I'm surprized at your season when it comes to grading , 50% light.Most I've talked to struggled to make any light.Most made med right out of the gate. That RO has got to help with that. A great season for you anyway.

Revi
04-06-2006, 08:41 AM
We are done basically too. Still lots to clean up, but all our buckets are pulled and we're pulling off the last of the tubing taps this weekend.

MaineMapleDave
04-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Done in Buxton as of last Friday (3/31/06). Empty buckets on most trees, nasty sap in a few buckets.

Overall, not a bad year, but not great. Very good flavor, but with a weird aroma. Not upleasant, just kind of weird.

appleman
04-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Bill I think the r/o works wonders on quality of syrup.This year only convinced us more. Two years ago we couldn't make anything but light with it no matter what we tried to do we couldn't make medium.
Cleanliness is the most important thing to make light amber ,we keep everthing very clean through the season. wash your tanks everyday,
empty your sap buckets everyday!!!!!! even if it bearly ran.
Boil your sap as fast as you can,cloudy sap aint no good, at least for
light amber.Also since we went from wood fired to oil we have noticed
a higher % of light through the season.The filter press you sold us
helps too!

When you run a fruit juice facility, that is inspected by the F.D.A.
you learn how to clean and clean some more.