PDA

View Full Version : Husqvarna 350

cadocter
05-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Does anyone know anything about the Huskie 350? I'm looking to buy one, but I'd like to know the ups and downs before I buy it.

Gravel
05-09-2012, 06:36 AM
Not a bad saw for smaller stuff, if you are going to be blocking up big hardwood I would suggest a different saw otherwise it will work out good for you!

Thad Blaisdell
05-09-2012, 07:07 AM
I have one and used it for a long time. Nice dependable all around unit. Always starts on 2nd pull. maybe a couple of more if you run out of gas, but always runs. I am not the kindest to it either, leave it out in rain etc, would buy again.

Brokermike
05-09-2012, 08:35 AM
You might find it to small for many things, and it has much less torque than most would prefer. It is an all around homeowner saw. Look for a used 357XP if you want more saw, for about what a 350 sells for new

Thad Blaisdell
05-09-2012, 12:54 PM
It is not a saw for big wood, but does have the power to do the occasional big boy project. I do use a bigger saw for blocking firewood but for the around the woods stuff this is my saw of choice. Very good on gas and a good even torq. I also own a 346 which is the same size motor, higher torq but much less overall power, perfect for cutting small stuff and brush.

red maples
05-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Perfect place for a side bar here!!! no pun intended... I am gonna need a new saw very soon but I am stumped(sorry pun again) between the stihl ms290 farmboss and the husqvarna 455 rancher.

Both excellent saws both get excellent reviews. I have yet to see a negative one. I have never owned a husqvarna but I have owned stihls and love them.

I do about 6 cords hardwood for the house felling all the trees too. and 10+ cords for maple. I usually get a truck load for next to nothing plus what ever I can scrounge around for.

I don't know which one to get. If I had a spare few $100 laying around I would get both but thats not an option.

motowbrowne
05-09-2012, 03:41 PM
I know I've said this before, but I'll say it here again. I always recommend going with a pro line saw, either from Stihl or Husky. I don't know models specifically for Husky, but someone else said the 357xp could be had used for the price of the 350 new. Sounds like a good way to go. As far as the 290 versus the Rancher, I would get neither and get a used MS 260 or MS 361 personally. Sure, the homeowner series of saws will do the job, but wouldn't you rather have something that was designed to stand up to commercial use for several years. My dad's Stihl 036 (older generation of the MS 361) has run for almost 20 years and hasn't ever been to the shop. I'm not trying to turn this into a Stihl vs. Husky thing, I just don't have much personal experience with the Husky model numbers. I do know several people with xp series Huskys that like them a lot. I have used a Husky 3120xp, which I did like quite a bit, but a 120cc saw is gonna be fun no matter what brand. That's my two cents. I'm sure you'll both be happy with whatever one you decide, a new saw is always a nice change.

Ryan

Maple Ridge Farm
05-09-2012, 03:56 PM
I am with Ryan on this one, get a Pro model worth the extra dollars in the long run if you are cutting hardwoods. We use all Stihl's 260, 362 and 460, all work great.

Bruce L
05-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Go with the XP series,they will roar through the wood whilst others are chewing at the bark.We once left another brand(which wa supposed to be a fast saw) in the woods for 3 weeks,no takers,evn the neighbour cutting next door to us is amazed at how fast our Husky can go through a log compared to his.

maple flats
05-10-2012, 05:10 AM
Husky and stihl are both good saws. I happen to be a Husky guy, not I'm convinced they are necessarily better, only because when I was looking for my first good saw I did not like the Stihl Dealer near me. I have 2 huskies, a 359 with a 20" bar and a 365 with 20 and 34" bars. Most cutting is done with the 359 but the 365 comes out to do heavy work (the 34" bar only comes out to buck a log on my sawmill if a 20 won't do it easily or to fell a BIG tree.
This being said I had a 350 in the past. Nice saw for limbing or even bucking up to about 12-14". I had a 20" bar but it is too slow on 20" jobs. I was like Thad in that I carried in often because it was lighter and easy to handle.
If your saw purchase will be for your only saw go for a Farm boss or a pro but if it is to do the lighter jobs the 350 is OK.

Revi
05-10-2012, 08:23 AM
I have a 351 E-tec, and it's great, until I tried a friend's 357 XP. It rips through wood like a knife through butter. If you can get either one for the same price, go with the 357 XP. The 350 has a great weight to power ratio, but the XP is a beast.

red maples
05-10-2012, 08:29 AM
Great input...I am still looking considering spending the extra few $100 and go for the bigger saw. and yes 130CC equals fun no matter how you look at it. I currently have a poulan Pro the bigger one with the 20" bar I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. just a cheap box store saw. runs good don't get me wrong but 20" bar with a 46CC motor it just has no power. I got it before I got into maple and was just for the house doing a few cords and cleaning up was fine once I got up to 10+ cords its just and old slow dog. So doing 16+ cords gotta go bigger!!! I don't need to do as much wood for next year(from the winter and maple season that never was) so thats a good thing I might stick it out with the poulan for now. only have to do about 8-9 cords and suck it up and save a little more and go for an XP or pro for next year!!!

maple flats
05-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Red is right. I used 20" poulan Pro saws for years. With the use I gave them a saw was warn out in 1-2 years. Then I bought the Husky 359. That saw has been going for about 8 years and still runs as good as new. A quality saw cost less over the long run AND the performance it considerably better. You think the cheap saw cuts good until you use a good saw. The difference is like night and day. You will be able to saw more with less effort per cord when you use a good saw.

cadocter
05-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Hey thanks a million guys! I ended up getting it at an auction for under half the advertised price and it's practically brand new. The finish on the muffler is still there. I have a husky 136 with a 16'' bar on it that I've used for 8 years that's still running like a champ. I figured something different and a little bigger will be nice. I'll have to keep my eyes out for a good XP or pro in the coming years so I can have a saw that can cut through anything. Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it! -Calvin