PDA

View Full Version : Another Power Question

SeanD
05-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Do you think a 20 amp circuit is sufficient for a sugarhouse? Right now I only run lights and a radio continuously, then occasionally I'll add in some kind of power tool if I'm working on something - a shop vac, grinder, or circular saw, etc. I don't use a blower now, but wouldn't mind at least having the option. Will 20 amps cover that? Should I dedicate one 20 amp circuit to the lights and a second to the outlets?

Sean

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-04-2012, 04:55 AM
I would have the lights and outlets on 2 separate circuits. Also 2 circuits for lights. That way if one breaker goes, you are not in the dark!

maple flats
05-04-2012, 05:06 AM
That all depends on what you might grow to. A filter press, RO etc. Most generally it is better to go extra now. Even thou you see no need now, I'd go a 30A 240 lead in or even a 50A 240. Then go into a sub panel and you have plenty for expansion for several years. Really lights should be separate from outlets. I run a 30A feed from my inverter (solar power/generator backed) into a breaker panel box. From there I use 6 legs, one at 240V and 4 at 120V. When I wanted an RO I had to get gas powered because my power was marginal. When I started I only had 2 legs of lights and 2 of outlets.

maple maniac65
05-04-2012, 05:25 AM
honestly try to puit in double what you think you might be using. It seems to be used up fast when you actually have electricity in a sugar house. I know a sugarmaker here in NH that started out with 200amp service and now is at 400amp service.

SeanD
05-04-2012, 10:12 PM
I know to plan on more than what I use, but I don't really know enough about electricity to even know what I would use. In layman's terms, right now I have lights, a radio and occasionally, I'll run some kind of tool, pump, or something. Realistically, there's no RO in my future or if there is, it is crazy far away.

Thanks for the advice. I'll talk to the electrician about running separate circuits for the lights and outlets and bumping up the amps. Looks like I'm digging a deeper trench.

Sean

PerryW
05-05-2012, 12:08 AM
I would think 20 amps would cover what you are talking about. A blower shouldn't use more than a couple amps.

However, you can run two 20 amp circuits by using 12-3 instead of 12-2. Just the one extra wire will do it.