PDA

View Full Version : Gear pump cream machine build

lew
04-25-2012, 08:15 PM
I am making a 1 inch gear pump cream machine. I see in previous posts that some commercial machines are turning 88 RPMs and other are turning 175 RPMs. Does anybody know why? Or does anybody have a preference?

lew
04-27-2012, 05:14 AM
Nobody has an opinion or thought to share? I guess I didn't ask a provacative enough question. I should ahve aske about politics, religion, or raised versus drop flue, that would have a got a lot of responses.

Amber Gold
04-27-2012, 06:54 AM
I replaced the pulley operated gear pump and electric motor off my filter press and replaced it with a diaphragm pump. The gears are worn out and it wouldnt't draft out of a drum anymore. The gear pump should still work fine for a cream machine and have contemplated having one built, but that's as far as I've gotten with it. The gear pump cream machine I've seen did turn pretty slow...guessing it's the 88rpm...it might be so the syrup doesn't turn into cream too quickly...my guess.

maplwrks
04-27-2012, 07:01 AM
LEW---SLOWER IS BETTER. ANY FASTER, AND i THINK YOU WILL SHOOT YOUR SYRUP ALL OVER THE PLACE!!

lew
04-29-2012, 06:33 AM
Maplwrks, You may have a good point. I think I have found a solution. I just picked up 6 Gast vacuum pumps at an auction this weekend, all with 3 phase motors. We only have single phase available. So with a VFD we can convert our single phase to 3 pahse and control the speed at the same time! A friend suggested that we might want to turn the cream at one speed and slow it down when you are ready to package. Sound s like a plan that might work.

IshamBrookFarm
04-30-2012, 06:26 PM
A big reason for choosing 88 rpm instead of anything greated is because of crystilization. you dont want to turn the syrup too quickly or it will create larger sugar crystals and make a sugary substance instead of a creamy soft flavor.