PDA

View Full Version : Sales Tax

hounder
04-25-2012, 07:24 PM
We are just starting out and want to be sure we are doing it correctly. I believe since syrup is food, no sales tax is charged or needs to be paid? Just need to claim as income?

Thanks in advance

ToadHill
04-25-2012, 07:29 PM
You are correct. You can also include maple cream and sugar as non-taxable food items. Maple candy however is taxable.

maple flats
04-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Yes, there is a fine line in NY. If you sell molded sugar make sure you name it as such and not maple candy. Candy is taxable, molded sugar is not taxable. If you also someday start selling other things you will need to collect and file the tax, such as magnets, pictures, gifts (except syrup) and so forth. I only sell 1 thing that I need to collect sales tax, I sell Working Hands cream, a great product my daughter put me on years ago and when I went to buy more, no drug store in town carried it. I contacted the manufacturer and placed an order big enough to qualify for free freight. I now sell enough to re order every few months, again large enough to get free frt.

hounder
04-26-2012, 05:51 AM
Just got my first restaurant and don't want to be unsure the first time in. Also wondering at what price you put syrup in a store? How much do you cut the price for the store to make a profit?
Thanks a bunch!

Thad Blaisdell
05-18-2012, 06:18 AM
You can also include maple cream and sugar as non-taxable food items. Maple candy however is taxable.

Danger,,,, danger Will Robinson.... we have been infested.

ToadHill
05-18-2012, 08:22 AM
What? Sorry, but I don't get the reference.