PDA

View Full Version : Thick syrup in a drum

ennismaple
04-23-2012, 04:18 PM
We cracked into a drum of syrup yesterday that was made in 2011. It was the same beautiful light colour with great flavour as the day it went into the barrel. As I tipped the drum upside down to get the last of the syrup out of it there was a huge crash as a big chunk of sugar crystal fell to the low end of the drum. I guess I had a bad day keeping my sugar levels at 66.5 Brix.... Thick is always better than thin but I don't like wasting sugar in chunks at the bottom of a container either.

OK - so its a bit thick, I'll just add some water to thin it to density, right? I checked it with the refractometer and it came in at a perfect 66.5 brix! All I can think of is the sugar crystals grew until the syrup was no longer super-saturated and it left syrup at perfect density.

Anyone else experienced this? Will the crystals grow until the syrup thins to a certain density (66.5) or did I just get lucky?

argohauler
04-24-2012, 07:21 AM
Hey Marty. I've had the same thing happen, but in jugs and bottles and I recanned it and it was fine.

802maple
04-24-2012, 07:31 AM
It will do as you said. If there is alot of crystal in the bottom, I have dissolved it with water and reused it in a darker grade. there will be about zero maple flavor in it, but will end up about crystal clear no matter what grade it started out being. The packers like having this stuff to blend with as they just steam it out of the drum and it will help keep a grade. It takes a while to dissolve, but I don't throw it away.

We cracked into a drum of syrup yesterday that was made in 2011. It was the same beautiful light colour with great flavour as the day it went into the barrel. As I tipped the drum upside down to get the last of the syrup out of it there was a huge crash as a big chunk of sugar crystal fell to the low end of the drum. I guess I had a bad day keeping my sugar levels at 66.5 Brix.... Thick is always better than thin but I don't like wasting sugar in chunks at the bottom of a container either.

OK - so its a bit thick, I'll just add some water to thin it to density, right? I checked it with the refractometer and it came in at a perfect 66.5 brix! All I can think of is the sugar crystals grew until the syrup was no longer super-saturated and it left syrup at perfect density.

Anyone else experienced this? Will the crystals grow until the syrup thins to a certain density (66.5) or did I just get lucky?

Sunday Rock Maple
04-24-2012, 04:56 PM
I don't know the science.... that being said, I think if you'd left it long enough the crystal growth would continue --- like honey in a jar that needs to be clarified.

maple flats
04-24-2012, 05:26 PM
I think only the excess will crystalize. You packed it too dense. Use it as suggested above. If you pack hot using a accu cup and chart you should not get this. I think you tested it hotter than the 211 and got a bad reading, or you hydrometer is off. Even a slight drop into the hydrometer cup can potentially slide the paper and change the readings. Get the hydrometer tested. Many producer shows offer free testing. Did you pack it using the refractometer? If yes try recalibrating that, it may be off.